1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

    Dismiss Notice

help identify

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by april0514, Jan 5, 2013.

  1. april0514

    april0514 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 4

    i have a few questions about location of parts. what is a governor arm where is it located and what does it look like? recoil start is that the pull string to get it started? what are the normal grease points on a mower and how to grease the spindle and where is the spindle?
  2. White Gardens

    White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 6,776

    Governor arm is usually located on the back of most motors. It has a spring connected to it, usually with different slots in the arm to adjust the tension of the governor. When the mower is running, you'll see it slightly move, or move a lot if the motor is under load.


    Yes, a recoil start is the pull string that recoils itself.

    The spindle is the shaft that goes through a mower deck and the pulley and blade attaches itself to.


    Also notice the grease zerk on the spindle. This is a grease point. Look for any zerks on the mower where-ever there are moving parts.


  3. april0514

    april0514 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 4

    ok so a little more info the 2 screws, in your picture, which one does what? also there are 2 screws, in the bowl, that encloses the float, one holds it on and the other does what? any ajustment or no purpose except to drain fuel maybe? i'm just learning all this. i've got "hands on", but lack alittle of "the books" part of it. thanks for any info provided.

Share This Page