Help identifying lawn problem

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Jouting, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Jouting

Jouting LawnSite Member

hi,

I have a area of lawn where the grass doesn’t seem to be doing well.

Recently treated with grubx (week ago) thinking problem was insect. Also applied lime fast acting lime and fertilizer over a month ago.

upload_2018-4-23_7-23-58.jpeg

upload_2018-4-23_7-24-19.jpeg

2. Rockbridge Lawn Care LLC

Rockbridge Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member

ok first you need to dethatch all that dead stuff out just to see what is leftover and then deal with the "growth" issue.

3. Jouting

Jouting LawnSite Member

Area was over seeded in the fall.

Tall fescue and Charlotte nc

I am hoping to find out what’s causing the dead stuff.

4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Dig down 3 inches on one sqft--if grubs are more than 5 you need treatment. Many of the spring grub control products will kill only about 50 percent of the grubs, ( if you are lucky). They are large and tough at this time of year. What is the fertilizer program? Is this area in shade? What is soil temperature in Charlotte?
    How much fine fescue in mix? How much perennial rye? How much annual rye?
    Is the soil dry?
    Water and fertilizer should bring it around. Acid soil? Have you done a soil test? Any sign of disease --such as brown patch?
    Excess chemical spray?

Jouting likes this.
  5. Jouting

Jouting LawnSite Member

Concerned areas are local areas and remaining turf performing as normal.

I was hoping it would be a obvious diagnosis for you guys, lots of knowledge on LawnSite. I understand I was asking for a lot with only providing a picture.

1 lb N/M October, December, and Feb or March cant remember.

lesco tall fescue, only grass type was tttf

soil moisture same as the rest of lawn which is not having issues.

no obvious signs of diseases treated with scotts stuff for diseases and i did notice some improvement.

but areas like the pictures show still exist.

no chemical spray.

6. Tidewater Greenworks

Tidewater Greenworks LawnSite Member

Could be brown patch or pythium blight. It's hard to tell from your picture, too close up. Dead grass just looks like dead grass, could be from any number of things as Riggle outlined.

Fungus damage usually presents itself when the sum of your nightly low temperature and your relative humidity reach 150. For my area that's usually in early to mid May. The grass may turn tan/orange before it browns out and dies, there may be little fuzzy spores present in the grass in the pre-dawn hours, or there may be a ring-shaped area where the grass dies out but leaves healthy grass in the middle.

If you pull out a few grass blades in the margin area between where your dead grass is and where the grass is healthy you might see rust-colored or black spots on the grass leaves. All of those are signs of fungal damage. I wouldn't try to treat fungus on your own, it's one of the most frustrating and difficult problems facing lawn-care professionals.

Other problems include grubs, which you're already treating for. Grub damage is usually very easy to spot. Can you pull the grass right up like newly-installed sod? If so then it's likely grubs. Do you have a dog? Are the spots that are doing badly your dog's favorite spots to add supplemental fertilizer? Another option.

Jouting likes this.
  7. jc1

jc1 LawnSite Silver Member

Really the picture is too close up to give an overall judgement.
    Possibly when it was over seeded it was too high of a rate and now there is overcrowding causing it to die out.
    What was the ph did it need lime?
    What has been the air and soil temperatures? different plant varieties come out of dormancy at different temperatures.
    Maybe those areas are too wet, maybe too dry.

8. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

If there was annual rye in the mix--sure it is supposed to die out over winter. Perennial rye and fine fescue are usually cold hardy--usually. What was in the seed mixture you applied?
    If there is bluegrass, the best types will green up rather slowly in the spring.

9. walkinonwater27

walkinonwater27 LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

I would dethatch all that dead stuff out and check your thatch layer, I bet it is over a half inch and you need to aerate.

10. Jouting

Jouting LawnSite Member

I just dethatched and aerated before seeding in the fall.