HELP! Landowner with Landscaping tennant who stopped paying rent!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alissa Ross

LawnSite Member
Hey guys, new member to the site and looking everywhere for advice. We are a palm tree nursery with 12 acres in south Florida and Long story short, we discovered that the landscaping company that has two acres of land in plants, three dumps, two 60’ trailers, various mowers and other equipment, full use of water and electricity, cones and goes at Will on property...stopped paying our now deceased grandmother (the estate and palm nursery owner) rent months ago. They apparently have(had) no contract. We want to amend this amicably and we want him to start paying rent immediately, we have no idea what to ask however. I have been scouring the internet and this site looks promising. Hopefully someone with experience can give us a hand because this can’t continue. We have about a 14 year relationship with the owner and he’s just dodging us. We dont want to evict because it’s his business and we need the rent but we will if he continues to take advantage and ignore us. His claim is that he was exchanging his rent for keeping up our property but he hasn’t even mown the lawn in months. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

hort101

LawnSite Fanatic
Welcome to lawnsite Alyssa:waving:

Give it some time I'm sure you'll get lots of opinions on your situation ,rents vary alot by region
What would a spot like that cost and add in some for utilities?

That Guy Gary

LawnSite Gold Member
He at the least owes the same amount he was paying every month before she died. Even if it's not in writing there is a contract there. If you can provide records of his previous payments he won't have a leg to stand on in court.

I know you want this to be amicable but it's not going to be. You need to hire a lawyer and make him pay in full all rent due and negotiate a written lease from there. You can use that back rent to pay the lawyer.

OP
A

Alissa Ross

LawnSite Member
Welcome to lawnsite Alyssa:waving:

Give it some time I'm sure you'll get lots of opinions on your situation ,rents vary alot by region
What would a spot like that cost and add in some for utilities?
...that’s the thing..We really don’t know what to charge for the trucks and trailers and then the land on top of that. Do you charge by the foot? By the piece of equipment? What about all his plants? It’s just a lot and we have no starting place. Anything he paid NaN was surely in cash and we’ve no record of it.

hal

LawnSite Fanatic
Did you inherit it? If yes it is under your control, the landscaper may be trespassing. You need to do 2 things and we can not give you any more advice until these 2 things have been accomplished (they have been suggested before) 1. talk to an attorney, 2. talk to the owner of company.

OP
A

Alissa Ross

LawnSite Member
Yes we inherited it but the property it in a trust until probate starts. We also live on the property. So it’s a rather sticky situation...I’d like to draw up a new contract and start charging rent and go from there. We’ve spoken to him many times and now he’s just never around long. Trying to avoid attorneys

Status
Not open for further replies.