Help me fix hole in gas tank

jonnyz37

LawnSite Senior Member
I have a scag vride that has a hole in the bottom of the fuel tank. I have tried a couple fixes, but no success. I think the tank is made from polyetheyle. And they don't accept epoxy very well . Any suggestions? A new tank is 500 and I would love to just fix mine. Thanks guys

rippinryno

LawnSite Gold Member
what's the model on that v ride. How big is the hole? You could use some JB weld and then seal the inside of the tank with a tank sealer/line such as red kote

OP
J

jonnyz37

LawnSite Senior Member
what's the model on that v ride. How big is the hole? You could use some JB weld and then seal the inside of the tank with a tank sealer/line such as red kote
I've heard jb weld is a temporary fix at best for gas fuel tanks. I have a52" with Kohler... 2016 I think

weeze

LawnSite Fanatic
remove tank. empty it out. leave it open for a few days or a week to get all gas fumes out of the tank for safety. drip melted plastic into the area with the hole until it's full of plastic. then you have a new tank.

rlitman

LawnSite Silver Member
remove tank. empty it out. leave it open for a few days or a week to get all gas fumes out of the tank for safety. drip melted plastic into the area with the hole until it's full of plastic. then you have a new tank.
The last time I plastic welded a gas tank, I left a stream of CO2 blowing into it. A chunk of dry ice would do the trick too.

BigFish

LawnSite Fanatic
I've used this stuff on poly tanks, works pretty good. Does'nt last forever, but just re-do it. I've had it last about 8 mos. or so.
https://fiberglasssupplydepot.com/FASCO-EPOXO-88-PASTE.html
Avail. lotsa places.

Poly welding would be the way to go, but epoxo 88 will hold ya.

Gotta pull tank, spray clean with choke spray or something, then rough up with 80~100 grit or so.

Actually, depending on where ths hole is, ya might could install a small machine screw, washers, and nut.
Piece of innertube under the washers should do it.
Use a hex head screw, socket, extension or tape a wrench to it , let the wrench hit the side of the tank while ya tighten it up from outside, then remove wrench.
Would work, just gotta get creative, right?

Or not.

Last edited:

rlitman

LawnSite Silver Member
Oh, one more thing I forgot. The last time I plastic welded a tank, on a Honda (not that that matters much) I wasn't quite sure of the tank's composition. Rather than choosing a welding rod that wasn't quite right, I used tin snips to cut a sliver of plastic off of an unimportant rib on the underside, and welded that in place, so I knew that the filler material was an exact match.

But $500 for a replacement. That's nuts! Heck, I see welded aluminum racing fuel cells for under $80 on Amazon. How much gas do you want? :)

OP
J

jonnyz37

LawnSite Senior Member
i took the tank off and found out i have XLPE...cross linked polyethylene. It is supposed to be tough to bond with. I just saw a plastic welder from polyvance that comes with XLPE rods to use. They even demonstrated on a gas fuel tank and it looked super solid. $75 bucks beats the hell out of over $500. But, it might not work out and then ive wasted 75 and 1 week of time.