Help me with buying a mower for Bermuda

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by mikeb3408, Feb 20, 2018.

1. mikeb3408

mikeb3408 LawnSite Member

Hello,

I just moved into a new house in the Raleigh, NC area and the house was sodded with Celebration Bermuda. The lot is relatively small at .28 acres.

The front yard has a slight slope to it but nothing crazy, the backyard is flat.

I would like to keep this yard looking great and would like some recommendations on which lawn mower I should purchase.

Specific brands/ models if possible

I don't have a specific budget set, but I will pay for something of decent quality that will last

The grass is still dormant right now but I want to be ready for Spring

Thanks!

2. Digitaria Sanguinalis

Digitaria Sanguinalis LawnSite Member

If you truly want an award winning lawn. Get a reel mower. The quality of cut is unmatched compared to a traditional rotary mower that most people use. I'm not sure what your budget is, but you can start searching craigslist for a used Tru-Cut or McLane. The cheapest options $250-$750 ballpark. Or step up to the next level and get a used greens mower $1000-$3000 ballpark.

3. Smokindog

Smokindog LawnSite Member

Man does that bring back memories. Guy across the street growing up had one for his Bent grass front yard. He mowed 2-3 times per week if not more. All orange mower with big plastic white catcher out front if I recall correctly (1960's).

We had a rear discharge powered reel mower and a push reel for when it wouldn't start :) All the "cool kids" had what we called the "whirly bird" mowers :)