Help needed on sod baseball infield

HighChiefKC

LawnSite Member
Northern IN. I fertilize the local schools sports fields. Have for years. Last year they built 3 new baseball fields. They had a contractor from out of town come and build all the fields, and as per their contract, they took care of them for the first year. Then I took over. All 3 fields were seeded, except the biggest field they installed sod on the infield. And I don’t just mean “infield” I mean there is grass from Home to 1st, and from 3rd to Home. I’ve never seen a baseball field like this, but both high school boys fields are like this.
What’s really weird is the company installed the sod in like a weird pattern, like there is strips of it mixed in areas of seed, it’s not uniform. The grass around the fence and getting close to the baseline was seed, then sod takes over.
When I went there to measure over winter, you could see the lines between sod and seed. I take pictures every time I go. It started out getting green. My sales rep recommended putting a root enhancer on the fields, as did the install company. So every 3-4 weeks I go and either do fertilizer or a liquid root enhancer app.
We have been hot and dry for the most part here. Each time I got back the sod is getting worse and worse to the point yesterday that I think it’s completely dead. The outfield is as green as can be.
NO IRRIGATION.
Advice needed on what to do moving forward and this fall. The guys that mow it, haven’t made things any easier this year. I don’t mow.
Hopefully these pics attach in time order! From early spring to yesterday
DF35C4E8-BDB7-446A-A702-ED968A4C4178.jpeg
32E86359-AEB5-44E9-8F04-67D40BF3B5C9.jpeg
42727C65-181F-40C7-8664-30C692E0FA2F.jpeg
38D3D251-1162-4FDC-AF50-C2166ACFE316.jpeg
811164C3-85FE-47F6-A9A2-11408778C66E.jpeg

walkinonwater27

LawnSite Senior Member
Sod without irrigation, it was dead before you started. Couldn’t hurt to dbl aerate it and break up the thatch. But it looks like burnt toast. Seed will do much better without irrigation. A nice tttf. What’s the soil like under the sod? Lime in the seeded areas to darken it up to match. That brown stuff needs water asap. Once a week minimum. Give her a tug if the grass parts from its roots easy it’s gone.

Last edited:
OP
H

HighChiefKC

LawnSite Member
I gave it a tug when I was there and it didn’t budge. So there’s that. There is no way for them to water it. Why they put sod there is beyond me. I talked to the owner of one of the landscape companies in town, and he said he doesn’t know all the details but they have had a lot of problems with the company that built the fields.

walkinonwater27

LawnSite Senior Member
If you have a blower mister you could charge them to water it and really hose it down. Better than nothing and the product is cheap.

Hineline

LawnSite Bronze Member
Being that the sod is rooted, there is hope. I would get one of the many hydratain type products sprayed on the sod along with 6 ounces of humic acid if it can be done just before a rain event. Ideally someone needs to get a tank of water out there and flood the sod a few times or it will be dead.

OP
H

HighChiefKC

LawnSite Member
Well one good thing, we are supposed to get a ton of rain over the next few days. I contacted the athletic director and the woman in the Corp office that I deal with and sent them basically the same info here as to why did they plant sod? They basically said they agree and are aware of how
it’s turned out. I like when everyone is on the same page

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
It rained 6 inches here. If you got some of that rain--the soil moisture is fine for a few days. If so, add some fertilizer to stimulate new growth and green-up.
However--it really needs irrigation. Drill a well.

Looks like they had a few rolls of sod leftover--and they just used it up.

Captain Obvious: "It needs water!"
Bare dirt and dead sod is not safe for the players. Looks ugly. Sand-lot ball.

Top Forums