1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Help on Tire purchace for DC.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Soupy, May 5, 2002.

1. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

I did a quick search but couldn't find what I was looking for. I need recomendations on a Turf Tire(22x1100-8) for my Dixie Chopper. I tried the Carlisle Turf CTR and it didn't last long before it started spinning on turns. I had the Turf Boss 2 tires on recently but One tire got a big gash took out of the side and it is not repairable. I would replace it, but my helper just can't get the hang of it (I have no problem). I want to know what the best Turf tire is. Traction and abilty to keep tread. I'm ordering from J. Thomas tonight so If they have the tires I need that would be great. Well I got to go change my Hydraulic Fluid on the DC, So I'll check back in a little bit.

Thanks,
    Soupy

2. Soupy

I think I'm going to go with the Carlisle Knobby Compass. I seen these tires in the J. Thomas catalog (pg 175 tire D). Any thoughts on this tire. I'm also going to get a new Turf Boss 2 tire from my dealer. I'm hopeing that it won't throw my mower off level. The tire it is replaceing still looks pretty new. I bought this mower used a couple of years ago and it only had about 450 hours on it and the guy wasn't useing the Turf Boss tires when i purchased it. I've used them very little myself.

Soupy

3. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

we've used carlisle power trac II's on our grasshopper in 4ply form, 22-11-8. you have to be careful to counter rotate on turns, but great traction and life. they are available online. Da eg

4. Soupy

David, Thanks for the reply. I went ahead and orderd the Nobby tires, and I had a local tire shop do a no warrenty repair job on my Turff Boss 2 tire. The problem was that the gash in the side of the tire was so large that the previous patch was pushing threw from the inside. I talked the guy in to putting a new patch on the inside and another on the outside, then a new Tube. We will see how long this last. He did a really good job on the patch work, so I'm hopeing it holds. But I'll have the nobby tires to fall back on. I also orderd 2 new Front wheel assembly's for back ups also. I'm tired of down time caused by tire troubles.

Soupy

5. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

don't know what knobby's your trying, but I tried a set of "Turf tamers" a few years back. man did they rip up turf. counter rotate my butt ! them jokers were made for sod removal. be careful and good luck. Dav eg