Help pricing fertilizing

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Husky03, Mar 5, 2005.

  1. Husky03

    Husky03 LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 432

    Beleive it or not I had one of my very first request for fertilizing today. I am not liscensed to apply any of this type of stuff so the customer usually does it if they want it done. Anyways, if the homeowner buys it I am able to apply it. Since I have never done this I don't have the slightest clue how much to charge for this. The yard was probably about 1/3 of an acre. Keep in mind the customer will be paying for the material and he is only paying me to apply it. Any help appreciated. :)
  2. lawnman_scott

    lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 7,547

    You must have a guess. You dont have to pay for a license, go buy it, just put it down. How long will that take? 10 min?
  3. Husky03

    Husky03 LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 432

    I have called around and have been told that you must have a license and to get that you must be 18 years old and if you are not 18 years old you have to work with someone for one year and then go take a written test to get it. Either way do you have an idea about the price?

  4. plateau lawn care

    plateau lawn care LawnSite Member
    from georgia
    Messages: 195

    Most places you must have a license to put it out just because your so called not charging for it you are charging to put it down. Most people who are going to fine you will also say you just added it into your mowing price so their is know way around it. But if you want to take the chance charge $10 bucks and throw it out. I dont do it I just sub it out.
  5. gogetter

    gogetter Banned
    Messages: 3,256

    Are you talking about straight fertilizer, or are you talking about weed control aslo?

    Also, which state are you from?
  6. Husky03

    Husky03 LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 432

    gogetter: I think he wants to do the weed and feed mixture stuff. As for the license I called the Indiana place for chemicals. I can't remember the name and they told me that it was legal if the homeowner supplied the material and I applied it. I figure if I use a walkbehind thrower it will probably take me around an hour to do the whole yard. Thanks for the help. :)
  7. DLS1

    DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,619

    Please go into your 'USER CP' and then your 'Edit Profile" and enter your location such as your city and state. That is helpful so people with more knowledge about your area (i.e. laws) can usually give you better answers on a variety topics.
  8. J Hisch

    J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 952

    Husky you are wrong. I am from Indiana and a Commercial applicator. You can not put any material down for hire... with out a being a commercial applicator. No matter who buy what. Call Carl Rew at the indiana State Chemist office.

    Any way if you still insist on doing it your way

    heres the pricing

    43,560 sqft 153-173

    break up your own square footages but the price above is per acre.
  9. SodKing

    SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,641

    Hisch is right. Just because the homeowner buys it doesn't mean you can legally apply it. Pass it off to a licensed applicator. If you want to make money off it bill it through you and upcharge or ask for a commission.

    The fines for an unlicensed application start at $5000 in my state, didn't get that far reading your regs.
  10. eruuska

    eruuska LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 454


    That's the wrong URL for the State Chemist's Office. The correct one is

    But he's right. Doesn't matter who pays for the fertilizer/weed killer, if you're being paid to apply it you MUST be licensed.

    Better to just sub it out to someone else.


Share This Page