1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

help pricing sod installtion

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Rexer, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Rexer

Rexer LawnSite Member
    from Ct.

New to the site! You guys offer some great advice and I am looking for some. I have a chance to bid on a lawn installation at a condo. Some background first. I am a new landscaping owner but have worked for lanscaping companies for about five years. I have installed lawns before but I never did the bidding so this is new to me. I am looking for some guidance on pricing. The area that needs to be sodded is approximately 3,600 square feet, flat and will need a base layer (2 in.) of new soil. Myself and another will be doing the work. One of my questions is for example: If I buy soil at $20 a yard do I add $$ to that for profit? Same goes for sod. Do I add anything in addition to the "cost" of the material. How do I figure my labor cost? What would be my installation/labor cost for spreading 22 yds of soil? by hand! And what would I charge on the instalation of the sod? Or do I charge (for example) $45.00 an hour for say eight hours work? :dizzy: This is my first "job" bid outside of lawnmowing so I want to get it right. Any helpful advice would be appreciated :blob3: I have read an example of the mark up for a mulch job and understand in that example they charged $32 a yard (installation/labor) on top of the cost/mark up of mulch and delivery fee. Is there a percentage that you add to the cost of the sod/soil/mulch that you paid for it? How would you guys bid on this job? I hope I have made myself clear in my questions and have given enough information. Thanks!

Jon