1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

help quick!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GreenMachine102, Apr 20, 2004.

1. GreenMachine102

GreenMachine102 LawnSite Member

i own a new lazer with a 20 horse kohler, it only has 10 hours on it, I have been checking the oil frequently, and when I checked it 2 days ago it was on the F (full mark) today it was below the F mark. It says in the manual that it needs to be at the F mark at all times,. My question is, I know that new engines have break-in oil in them, so do I have to get a special break-in oil to top it off, or can I use any good 10w 30 oil?

2. clcare

clcare LawnSite Member

any good oil will work

3. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

I always figured they used reg. oil. I have bought/used break-in Nitromethane (10%) for my Nitro Monster trucks (T Maxx, Terra Crusher, and Savage) but never thought about break-in oil for mowers. Looks like auto manufactures would use it (or do they?)

4. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

10 hours? Doesn't the first oil change come after 8 hrs? (or even 5 hrs on some?)
    (Think my brother said his Deere manual said 1st change @ 5hrs...... 25 Kohler)

5. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

you should be past the break in period.

6. GreenMachine102

GreenMachine102 LawnSite Member

i just looked in the manual, and it said "change oil and filter after first 5 hours". I thought I read it all, but must have missed that part. Is it too late, have I done damage to the engine by letting it go until 10 hours????

7. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

highly doubtful that there is any damage. just change the oil asap and don't worry about it anymore.