1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

Help selling my business

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Outdoor Images, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Outdoor Images

Outdoor Images LawnSite Member

I also have an opportunity for another 5 commercial accounts next spring but I dont even know if I want to increase my payroll and expenses any more. I already am up there in these categories. If I keep the business I will be forced to pickup more commercial to create more funds but taxes suck too. I would rather sell and walk away. Im 29 years old. I can do many other things right now besides stressing me out every day.

2. Gmgbo

Gmgbo LawnSite Senior Member

In my personal experience....I have purchased accounts for 25% of their gross. When purchasing equipment the more I bought, the less I paid.

I believe you will need to find a large company with the $$ to buy you out. In the past I have gone to the bank looking for money to buy companies. (I have my loans and line of credit with this bank) They didn't even want me to reply. I have had good luck with owner financing believe it or not.

On average, when the clients found out about the change in ownership 1 in 10 canceled.

$230,000 + 50,000 equipment x20% discount: $184,000
    $500,000 gross x25% :$125,000

Sale Price: $309,000

What do you net, people would want to know how long it would take to make their money back?

3. Outdoor Images

i purchase equipment every year and am always buying something for taxes so the last few years I only netted 40k a year in actual profit.

4. Outdoor Images

Everyone keeps telling me I should ask about 400k-500k. Not sure if thats right?

5. Efficiency

Efficiency LawnSite Bronze Member
    from zone 6

buying for tax breaks is a sign of poor management IMHDAO

or if you want to get really technical, you can start you asking based on EBITDA since you dug yourself into a NET hole.

6. Outdoor Images

Great! thanks for the amazing technical help efficiency!

7. Efficiency

from zone 6

what else are you wanting? I can broker the deal for a fee if you want.

8. Efficiency

from zone 6

9. Efficiency

from zone 6

or when the purchaser assesses their investment, they would look at something like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roic (helpful for you to consider when arriving at a valuation)

10. dirtyoldman1

dirtyoldman1 LawnSite Member

I would think it would be hard to find someone with the money and/or credit. What about splitting up the business... Selling commercial accounts separate from residential separate from equipment?