1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

help solve this problem

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jan 29, 2006.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i looked at this as a problem, the owner, somehow didn't. while talking with a gentleman, whom i respect, and somewhat admire (for different reasons), he made this statement: " it's getting rediculous. they are charging me $200 a week to dump my truck (an 8yd dump bed, loaded with grass + debris), and in one month alone, i spent $1400 on gas." this gentleman is the hardest working solo op i've ever seen in my life. as big and strong as a grizzly bear, but as dumb as a bag of rocks. how can he correct these 2 problems?

2. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

stop catching the grass for one.

alone that saves $200 in dump fees.

Then it also saves gas in the trips to the dump.

then it also saves about 25% time in the actual mowing, not to mention time driving to and unloading at the dump.

I am guessing he could save the dump fee ($200) probably another $200 in gas (dump mileage) and probably add 15- 25% income by increasing account base.

He might even be able to sell the 8yd dump vehicle and get something a bit more economical on the gas once he stops needing it to haul clippings.

Just my thought.

3. slplow

slplow LawnSite Senior Member

$200. a week for dumping grass is way to much. I pay $1,300. for a season pass including spring and fall clean up junk. If I didn't pay the money up front it would be $10. a yd.
    On the gas I would say that his bill includes his wfe car. I don't know what yr his truck is or what moter is in it but I would bet he is running a big block. he could save if he went to a small block and EFI on his mower.

4. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds to me like his route isn't real tight, and he's driving around alot. For one an 8 Yard dump is too big for JUST A LAWNSERVICE. thats gotta be on what like a C-50 2 ton truck. Those trucks are only gonna get 5-6 MPG empty with a big block and not much better with a small block. If he cuts down to a 1 ton truck, and stops collecting so much grass he'll cut his costs drastically, wether the truck is a big block or not.

5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Quit listening to him solves the problem and is the easiest to do

6. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

Help a brother LCO out here. Guide him to a dump site that will not rape him. If someone told me this, I would immediately tell him he's getting screwed and also tell him where there's a cheaper place to dump because I would want another LCO to tell me the same.

kc

7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

nope, i'll just patiently watch him sink, then, i'll take all his accounts. what are friends for?

8. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

we all knew that was comming :dizzy:

9. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

Stop bagging grass. I never understand why anyone bags grass. Time, dump fees, extra labor, storage...etc.

10. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

What kind of friend would do that to someone they admire?

What am I missing here?

kc