Help Starting Up!

jp@absolute

Banned
Hey everyone I am in the process of starting a lawn care company, and would like a little help. I want to be legit and I know I need insurance and tax id numbers and so on. But if someone could help me with a process that they took to get legit. I have gotten a couple of different insurance quotes, but don't know how to about getting the rest I have 6 contracts lined up 1 being commercial and 5 are residential. Is there any really process or order that I need to do to start a lawn care up?

OP
jp@absolute

jp@absolute

Banned
Is there anyone that could help me please. Spring is coming and I am sure there is a lot I need to do. Why is it so hard for us guys that are just starting to get any help? I mean everyone had to start somewhere and us guys that are just starting would like help.

OP
jp@absolute

jp@absolute

Banned
Thanks BBC that helps a little, but I am more interested on what steps to take as do I need a DBA before I can get an EIN# and so on and what does everyone look for when looking at insurances.

lawnkingforever

LawnSite Bronze Member
If you are not sure how to set things up, I would go to legalzoom and be done with it. They register your dba in your state, get it publishedin a local publication and get your EIN#. For a couple hundred dollars it will be done.
Posted via Mobile Device

WeedWhipper

LawnSite Member
You've got pretty much everything you need, just have a lawyer set you up as an LLC and they should get the DBA or whatever buoyant straightend out, have them register your name with the state,"fictitious name" is the term for that, this should all only cost under 200 to 300 through a lawyer. As far as insurance goes just look for a few agents and tell them what your doing with it, on average you should carry a million dollar policy for damage and such then get your equipment list covered under the policy, EVERYTHING including handtools and such this.will save your butt in case of theft. If you have an employee then get workmans comp policy on there as well. Thats about the extent of it, make and put your personal vehicle under your commercial ins. as well this will save you $$$ including spouses vehicle if applicable if its a car throw your logo in the window and claim it to be a estimte car. Ive got all the above with approx. 50000 worth of equipment two trucks two trailers wifes car, 1 employee wrk comp, and some kind of coverage for application(feet.) I believe and im around mid 200s a month.
Posted via Mobile Device

OP
jp@absolute

jp@absolute

Banned
Thanks for all the help guys and I will definitively talk to a lawyer. Will the lawyer that is handling my case where I got rear-ended help someone on the side of the road? I have been dealing with this lawyer for a year and a half know. Or do you think I should find a different lawyer for this?

shane-pa

LawnSite Senior Member
I set up my business on a weekend. I use my ss# for my ein. Go online to your state's department of revenue and get a tax ID number. Also print out the tax code for the services you will be providing. Some may be taxed and some not taxed. Pennsylvania also has a website to register your business to get a HIC#. Check with your state. Went to the bank on Monday to set up a business account. Total cost was $50--for the HIC#. Voila! In business! As you get customers and expenses, go talk to an accountant.