1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Help transplanting these trees

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Fishin LCO, Sep 27, 2004.

1. Fishin LCO

Fishin LCO LawnSite Member
    from NC

I need some advice in transplanting these pine tree. 1. Can they be transplanted? 2. When is the best time of year to transplant them? 3 Best methode to use? Any help would be truely appreciated.

thanks CC

tree2.jpg

1tree.jpg

tree3.jpg

2. kemmer

kemmer LawnSite Senior Member

looks like a tought one......have fun :laugh:

3. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I transplanted pines that were 12' tall and 7" stumps by digging them out by hand. The soil was pretty loose and fairly moist. When I planted them I buried a soaker hose around the tree about the drip line and put them on a timer. They have been in the new location now for almost 3 years and are doing good. Originally the customer didn't care if they survived or not they just wanted a quick privacy fence from the neighbours for a big party. The neighbours didn't get along very well and seeing as they were both about 300 lbs and liked to use the hot tub nude the trees were cheap. I bought the trees from a christmas tree farm and moved them about 30 miles. It was about the end of August when I moved them.

4. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

You are not going to have much luck with those. Not enough room to get a decent root ball. I have tried many in the past similiar to that with limited success. Besides....for that size tree I could sell the client a new one for what I would charge to move that one. If you are set on moving them wait until late winter/early spring....when most of the northeasters are done.