Help! Ugh Toro Grandstand problems might move to a Scag V-ride

km6483

LawnSite Member
So this is my second Toro Grandstand as I had the original 4 years ago, and that one needed and engine at 900 hours. Well I sold that one after the engine change. Now I have the second model Toro Grandstand and have 845 hours on it and 2 of 3 spindles went out (not under warranty) at 700 hours. Now my right side hydro is out and Toro wont warranty it until they inspect it. That's not a great 5 year warranty. So they need to inspect it for a week and a half so they can try not to not cover it. Great! Well I guess while they are trying to weasel out of it I have to buy another main mower so I can work. Which leads me to the Scag V ride. I have a Toro Dealer, Scag Dealer and a Exmark dealer near by. Any advice on what to do?

mwalz

LawnSite Bronze Member
Yea no reason to buy a new mower just yet. Get it fixed, get a loaner until it is fixed, or there might be other options depending on your situation.

OP
K

km6483

LawnSite Member
No loaner (another problem) and no mowers around to rent. I have so many hills here in GA to cut tomorrow...

sjessen

LawnSite Fanatic
Looks like you will have to make do with the 40 T2. While not the ideal scenario at least you have something to use.

As others have pointed out, there is no sense ditching the Grandstand yet. One way or the other it has to be repaired for it to be sellable. Hope things work out for you.

OP
K

km6483

LawnSite Member
Nope not a spare 48 inch $8k mower. I have 28 yards to cut tomorrow so would have to be a badass spare.

mwalz

LawnSite Bronze Member
Nope not a spare 48 inch $8k mower. I have 28 yards to cut tomorrow so would have to be a badass spare.

Well use the T2. Better than nothing. Might have to get help if that one isn't as productive.

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
I think people put too much value on warranty.

"oh, don't worry, it's covered by warranty"

Or is it?

and how long is it down, and how long will it take?

Far more important is, is there a parts stocking dealer?

can you get parts for it quickly?

warranties that are like "5 years" are just hooks to get you to buy apiece of equipment, and usually and an inflated price.

A warranty that is valuable probably lasts 30 to 90 days.. I want to make sure what I bought is going to do what I bought it for.

Anything after that is hoping for a way to squirrel out of responsibility.

When buying a machine, compare how fast you can get parts, and how much they cost.

Example: you say you have three dealers?
Call them, and ask them the same thing.

Hydro pumps, how much? How soon?
Spindles, how much, how soon?
Engine, how much, how soon?

Compare answers, make decision off that and the nest price you can get on a machine.

Id rather save 2-3 grand on a machine than have a multi year warranty.
No ones every in a rush to make a warranty repair.

If you have cash money for parts, they rush them to you.

Repair the grandstand… I wouldn't even attempt the warranty.

No matter How you look at it, a hydro is cheaper than a new machine.

Top Forums