HELP-Went whole season- now wants discount

yardsmith

LawnSite Senior Member
OK gang got a major pisser off-er today.
I mow for the local chiropractor, whom I also go to. In the past I have a monthly plan which gets me a pretty good discount, albeit I'm only on the table for 17 seconds, whereas the good chiropractors in town will spend a few minutes making sure everything is right.
Anyways, he asked me to mow his office & his residence last year. All went well, so we signed up again for this year. This is originally a separate entity from my chiropractic plan.
I submitted invoices & they weren't getting paid, 'got lost', got the run around & shuffle of paperwork is here, then there. Then the dad who runs things behind the scenes tries to pull this crap of 'oh we're swapping service for service'. YEAH I'm taking my $40,000 worth of equipment & 1-3 man hours each time & swapping even for 17 seconds on the adjustment table. So they finally get their heads out of their butts & I submitted all the bills a THIRD time.
I get a call today & the dad decides that since they give me a '40%' discount (of their over-priced services), I should do the same & wants me to knock off about 25% more off the final bill. Mind you I have not been paid ONE CENT for all my mowing this year yet. Oh yeah & he wants a revised total bill beofre the end of the year, after I've been waiting 7 months for ANY payment.
I have in mind what I'm going to do, I may give a slight discount for one lumpo payment but not much, & threaten with late fees & interest charges if they don't comply. I've already incurred %!*#()^* penalties on my sales tax this year because of slow payers; he is one of my bigger clients.
Anyone had crap like this before?? Lemme know; I want to formulate something within the next 2-3 days
Thanks everyone

Dr.NewEarth

LawnSite Bronze Member
This business can be frustrating.

Get a chiropractor that will spend time working that knot out of your kneck and back and fire the jerk who has to get a thug to do his finances.

Try to collect using whatever method you can. Use a written contract from now on.
Write off what you don't get paid, as a "business loss" of income.

I know some days I could scream and throw a 36 inch mower like a football to get my frustrations out. There are alot of bullets to dodge when you own a small business.

FoghornLeghorn

LawnSite Senior Member
I would do absolutely no discount. Drop him as an account and as a chiropractor as soon as you are paid.

If he doesn't pay, put a lien on his residence. Also, put a review on Yelp that this chiropractor has not paid his bill; and let him know you are putting the review online. When clients see this, they tend to think negatively about the person who has not paid. It may prompt the chiropractor to pay you.

These clients are toxic, you have to drop him...

Jimslawncareservice

LawnSite Platinum Member
This is why lcos need to network togather. So when he calls the next guy/guys they tell him straight up that they will need cash up front and they won't be trading service or getting discounts or ant of that crap
Posted via Mobile Device

dKoester

LawnSite Gold Member
This is why contracts are important. They state what lines are drawn. There are no grey areas. Hope you the best though. Try to get your money whatever way possible. Don't let your accounts go so long without getting your money. Get in contact with him or do certified mail, collections letter.......something to grab this persons attention that way he don't see you as a push over. When I don't get a check 4 days after sending out an invoice, they immediately get a call. They also get pinned to a date when I can pick up the check if they don't send it on time.

Lawnut101

LawnSite Silver Member
Stick up for yourself, don't give him anything. Chances are he lives in a huge house and is well off.

OP
yardsmith

yardsmith

LawnSite Senior Member
I'm definitely dropping him as soon on both fronts as I get paid. The kids who do all the work at both offices are in their 30's & have come up thru the ranks, but dad still pulls all the strings. Yeah he's one rich SOB too. All of them drive brand new vehicles, have rental properties, etc.
Since we got along so well with the son it has been on a verbal agreement & never had any problems until tightwad dad decided to stick his nose in & see where he could get by with chiseling the little guy.

DA Quality Lawn & YS

LawnSite Fanatic
why did you keep going back when you didn't get paid? You could have cut your losses with a stop-service clause.

Next, cut a deal with these guys, get paid, and drop em FAST for next year.
Just be done with it, better than dealing with legal costs.

ralph02813

LawnSite Bronze Member
This is why lcos need to network togather. So when he calls the next guy/guys they tell him straight up that they will need cash up front and they won't be trading service or getting discounts or ant of that crap
Posted via Mobile Device
I agree 100%.
And remember people's vision is through their own eyes they give you lousey service for a big discount you except, no matter what you do for them they are used to giving cheap for cheap so they expect it.

Negotiate with them over the current bill get what you can and run to a professional chiroprator. If he is not paying you he is one of your smallest customers.

dKoester

LawnSite Gold Member
Excellent point!