Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a guy stop me and ask me to bid on his church, currently brickman mows it and there not happy with them. I do mostly residential, but have a few 5 acre jobs. This job is 13 to 14 acres of mowing. What do you think would be a fair price for the job. I was thinking $450-$500. Is that low or high?

Plant Urban design Grass Landscape Bird's-eye view

· Registered
365 Posts
You get a Aplus from me for just having a pic. of the job you need help with...now if everyone else would...looks like alot of edging easy mowing and alittle weedeatting...our price is about 42.50 per acre but thats here we do have some down to 25.00.

· Registered
701 Posts
Yepper, I have a church contract, not as big as this one. You will have to break it down to man hours because there is a good bit of edging by looking at the photo. What about hedge trimming, tree pruning, chemical applications, extra services, etc? If you figure man-hours, churches normally go a bit below the average but it should be worth nothing less that $40 per man hour. It's good steady income, but make sure that there is good wording in your contract since you have a board to please instead of a single customer. Find out EXACTLY what they did not like about the previous contractor.

· Banned
3,338 Posts
the picture does not show elevation change. NEVER bid a job off satelitte photos. they WILL go with the lowest bid. With a large outift like Brickman, you as a solo(I assume) will have a hard time beating their price.

Just speculation here, perhaps the current provider has increased the price and now they are tire kicking to see if the increase is warranted? Like I said, hard to guess based off the photo Without knowing the elevation changes. Just figure your hourly rate, take a wet finger in the air guess at how long it will take and then add about an hour and a half and you'll have your price.

Just remember this, the first time you screw up, you'll be booted too. Keep this in mind about churches. There is a LOT of things that can happen that are out of your control. Many of these churches with large buildings are leveraged up to their eyeballs with building loans and such. All it takes is for one internal squabble to arise and next thing you know, half the members leave and with take their contribuitons with them. All of the sudden money gets tight and what is one of the first things to get cut in the budget? Just something to keep in mind. I have five churches that I mow for, but all of them are small, rural, fiscally responsible congregations.

· Registered
2,478 Posts
I've done several churches over the years and they like to get something for nothing. They think everybody owes them a donation. They have been some of the most disloyal customers I've ever had also. They change board members, want to cut budget and you're the first to go. Someone in the church wants to start cutting the grounds and you're history. I know they have to be money savvy like everybody else but they'll do anything to save a buck and it hurts when you're the one they're saving it on. I hate to be so negative but that's been my experience. The grounds are inviting-lots of grass in one place and easy money but it can be deceiving. Just my two cents. Good luck.

· Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the picture does not show elevation change. NEVER bid a job off satelitte photos. they WILL go with the lowest bid. With a large outift like Brickman, you as a solo(I assume) will have a hard time beating their price.

Just speculation here, perhaps the current provider has increased the price and now they are tire kicking to see if the increase is warranted? Like I said, hard to guess based off the photo Without knowing the elevation changes. Just figure your hourly rate, take a wet finger in the air guess at how long it will take and then add about an hour and a half and you'll have your price.

Just remember this, the first time you screw up, you'll be booted too. Keep this in mind about churches. There is a LOT of things that can happen that are out of your control. Many of these churches with large buildings are leveraged up to their eyeballs with building loans and such. All it takes is for one internal squabble to arise and next thing you know, half the members leave and with take their contribuitons with them. All of the sudden money gets tight and what is one of the first things to get cut in the budget? Just something to keep in mind. I have five churches that I mow for, but all of them are small, rural, fiscally responsible congregations.
I've actually been to the property and its pretty flat for the most part. Im thinking I should charge more like 350-400. I just talked to the board member today while I was mowing another account, and he asked if I'd go look at the property and give him a call on the price. He said they were taking quotes. I figure they will probably take the lowest price. Im guessing it will probably take me 7 hours.

· Registered
3,639 Posts
Thats a nice size Church, You could win the bid, even if your Solo. Obviously the Church is not happy with the current company; I would stress that you can provide a higher attention to detail for your price. Solo your looking at 4 8hrs of seat time IMO plus edgeing you need some help or purchase a 60" or larger ZTR, and fly in those wide open areas.

· Registered
2,126 Posts
Hey you think that guy would tell ya what they were paying? I'm thinking that if he really wants to replace them, maybe he could give that info so you could make sure to better the price? Just a thought, but I don't think that you could be so lucky.

· Registered
2,263 Posts
Don't cut yourself short on the money. Also be prepared for a snow plowing bid as well. How many mowers will you have going? What size?

· Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Im solo so I'd just have one mower going I currently have a cub cadet tank 48, a ferris dd 52", But had been planning on selling the cub cadet tank and buying a used 60 exmark tt. I don't like ztr's even though they are faster. A 60" tt should cut about 2.5 to 3 acres an hour with a sulky. I figure it would take me 6 to 7 hours total. which at 45 an hour puts me at 315. If I add an extra hour to cover my butt thats 360.

· Registered
2,263 Posts
It is right there in your signature. Sorry about that. Will you be using a sulky or walking it all. That is if you get of the cub cadet.

JP

· Registered
1,153 Posts
Im solo so I'd just have one mower going I currently have a cub cadet tank 48, a ferris dd 52", But had been planning on selling the cub cadet tank and buying a used 60 exmark tt. I don't like ztr's even though they are faster. A 60" tt should cut about 2.5 to 3 acres an hour with a sulky. I figure it would take me 6 to 7 hours total. which at 45 an hour puts me at 315. If I add an extra hour to cover my butt thats 360.
INEFFICIENT AS HELL. Period. Who cares what YOU personally like?! RUN a BUSINESS... whatever is best for the job wins....BIG Z.

· Registered
2,126 Posts
Are any of your mowers "commercial" ?
I was just wondering, if not, they may stand up to all that.
I do a one acre with my W/B 52" in about 50 min. with sulky at full speed. 19 HP.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.