Help with Drainage Around a Pool Deck

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by JimLewis, Feb 3, 2020.

1. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

We're installing a paver patio/pool deck around a fairly good size swimming pool that our client had installed on a job we designed (see photos). But there aren't a lot of swimming pools in Portland Oregon. Very short warm season and expensive to heat. So they just aren't common around here at all. We have limited experience with them. Really, hardly any hardscape contractors around here have much experience with them - because there just aren't very many pools.

Anyway, the plan was to install Channel Drains around the pool, as you can in the second photo attached to this post. The red lines indicate where the channel drains would go. Don't need them on the back side, as those pavers will be sloped away from the pool and water would just run off to the planting beds or turf areas in those areas.

But in order to do it this way, the pavers would have to grade down (away from the pool) and then back up, on the other side of the channel drains - creating sort of a V-shape to the pool deck/paver patio. Seemed a little odd to me. And I wasn't sure exactly how much slope to do on each side either.

So I called up a friend who installs pools in Southern California and he said they don't usually do channel drains. They usually just do catch basins every so often and slow grade all the pavers around that area down to the catch basins. He said it looks better this way.

So I changed the drainage plan and the current plan is to do it that way. See 3rd photo attached - the red boxes indicate where planned catch basins will go.

My question - to those of you who have more experience installing paver pool decks - is this a better way to go about handling the drainage around the pool? I think the catch basins will be a better look. But the client is second-guessing us on that decision - saying they liked the original idea of the Channel Drains. So I'm not sure now.

If you have any pictures of jobs you've done either way that would help me envision this as well. I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks.

WagnerPoolHouse&YardPerspective1.jpg

DrainagePlan.jpg

DrainagePlan2.jpg

hort101 likes this.
  2. Mr. Jon

Mr. Jon LawnSite Member

I like the channel drains better. With the catch basins, the pavement will be all up and down. Looks to me that you only need the one channel drain between the pool & pool house and maybe another just in front of the deck stairs. The other areas can drain into the planting beds. You can always add a perforated pipe with gravel in the planting beds to capture the water and drain to daylight.
    Drainage solutions 2017 (1).jpg Drainage Solutions 2018 (1).JPG

hort101 likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Thank you, Jon!

hort101 likes this.
  4. AztlanLC

AztlanLC LawnSite Bronze Member

hort101 likes this.
  5. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

I like the channel drains looks wise and it seems easier not having to make sure the water won’t sneak past a catch basin. But wouldn’t you need a V with the catch basins but not with the channel drains since all water will be intercepted by the channel but not with spaced basins?

hort101 likes this.