• LawnSite Homepage Upgrade

Hello again LawnSite community,

I wanted to post a quick note to let you know that the homepage of LawnSite will experience a major upgrade later this week. We’re always looking for ways to improve our users’ experience on the site, and felt that this upgrade was needed and long overdue..

With this upgrade, you’ll now see the top trending posts as soon as you visit LawnSite, and these will be updated throughout the day. You can also easily access videos and photos. As always, we encourage you to include videos and photos in your own posts to share with your fellow LawnSite users.

Be assured that all of the forums, content and data that you’ve been accustomed to will remain intact, as will all current site features. You’ll also be able to easily access the full list of forums directly from our new homepage.

We’re excited to bring you this change, and look forward to hearing your feedback.

Thanks, LawnSite Team

help with estimate please

landscaper22

LawnSite Silver Member
It's going to vary according to your area. My one acre lots are $75. I am in SC but would imagine KY wouldn't be too far off on pricing. I doubt he is going to get $110 for it. lol

Main thing is figure out what you want to make per man hour. I wouldn't do less than about $50 per man hour. I can do one acre in about 1 1/2 man hours with all the trimming etc. I would like to be at about $85, but have to sort of look at the trend in my area. But then my .4-.5 acre lots about still $50-55. It's really not double the work having an acre. Just extra mowing usually. I find that string trimming may only amount to a little more work and edging and blowing are about the same as smaller lots.

landscaper22

LawnSite Silver Member
You will find it difficult to raise prices going this route! Inevitably, people will just look for the next cheapest guy, it’s the way this has evolved.

you need to figure out what it costs you to be in business. And yes, you have overhead. Mowers never last forever, contrary to what some posters in Lawnsite want you to believe.
Yes, I hate dealing with those that don't understand business. You ever talk to someone that says they retired making say, $25/hour so they mow grass at $25 per hour? :hammerhead: Gotta love them. That means they are probably making like $15/hour lol. Why it doesn"t register to them that it's not the same is beyond me.
All they had to do was drive a vehicle to their job and spend a little gas money doing it. Now they have to have a truck, trailer, mower, string trimmer, hedge trimmer, edger, blower, insurance, city licenses, parts, repairs, and burn through fuel like crazy. Not everyone is a business person. And we have to compete with that.

Jeff@diyokc

LawnSite Senior Member
Yes, I hate dealing with those that don't understand business. You ever talk to someone that says they retired making say, $25/hour so they mow grass at $25 per hour? :hammerhead: Gotta love them. That means they are probably making like $15/hour lol. Why it doesn"t register to them that it's not the same is beyond me.
All they had to do was drive a vehicle to their job and spend a little gas money doing it. Now they have to have a truck, trailer, mower, string trimmer, hedge trimmer, edger, blower, insurance, city licenses, parts, repairs, and burn through fuel like crazy. Not everyone is a business person. And we have to compete with that.
^^^^^^ this!

I was just at Atwood’s getting some oil, had the sprayers on the trailer. Guy asks me what they run, $13-15k I said. Told him what I charge, ($75 fr 8000sq ft). Told me he mows and is making $25 an hour, no overhead because everything is paid for!
Said I should look into lowering my prices and get more volume of business. I looked at him and said I’m turning people down at these prices and higher, why would I do that? To your point exactly.

RCT48161

LawnSite Member
I mowed a few years ago(2009) and have not bid a yard since then. I got into it working with my son. I want to start again and just got the first call so help me please.
One acre with house on it. Only concrete to edge is driveway. No sidewalk in front. A small playground area for kids to charge in back. Weedeating under a new fence with no other obstacles. There is also a pool and the house is across the street and two doors down. I'm guessing 45-50 dollars. Critique me. Thank you
Between $75 and $85 for us. We also have value-added convenience like electronic bill pay and accept credit cards with no fee passed on. We can also do auto-billing. That seems to entice the deal.

RCT48161

LawnSite Member
I'm going to guess they don't bother to be legit--meaning no insurance, no registered business, etc. Likely just some guy with a pickup truck and a made-up name using hardware store lawn equipment. Those types are rarely every business-savvy and they ruin the industry.