1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

help with first semi large job.

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by neighborguy, Apr 9, 2001.

1. neighborguy

neighborguy LawnSite Member

I have a paver patio and retaining wall job to do an estimate for. It is one raised patio (using Versa-lok to raise it) 88 square feet, half circle patio with a 14 foot radius ( about 310 square feet I think) and a walk way that is about 33 square feet. The versa-lok section is about 20 feet long and seven inches high (includes cap with half block buried. I have my materials figured at about $3900, rentals (New Holland, trucking, and compactor) at about $700. I total estimate is about $8000. Does that sound like a reasonable estimate? any help or suggestions would be appreciated. It is all being done by two guys.

2. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

You better be able to do that job, start to finish, in 3 days to make viable profit.

Our number would be closer to $13,500.

3. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Just so I under stand it, you have 431 sq ft of pavers to install and 20' of one block high plus cap Versa-lok wall.
    431 sq ft pavers = 5 pallets
    20 ft of wall = 1/2 pallet wall
    20 ft cap = 1/4 pallet
    did I get it right?

4. neighborguy

Paul, you are right.

5. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Sounds like your numbers are ok.
    Your material prices seem high,

500 sq ft pavers @ $3 per sq ft = $1500
    20 sq ft wall @ $5.85 per sq ft = $117
    30 tons stone @ 6.50 per ton = $195
    Glue and misc = $ 300
    total material $2112
    Trucking from Bend $100
    rentals $700
    TOTAL $2912

Figure I'm off some on the pavers don't know what your using but it should be close to these #. Sounds like a nice job.

6. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

Am I missing a part of this? The materials cost seems astronomically high. Using Paul's numbers I get less than $1,500 in materials.

Are you using a really expensive brick?

And eqpt rentals shouldn't be more than a few hundred. Use the skid loader for 1 day. Do all of your excavation in a couple hours, get all of the crushed stone and brick and block moved to the backyard by afternoon. Return the loader.

We don't go as fast as Paul's guys, but a project like this would take 3 guys 2 days.

Unless there are some variables I'm not aware of, you have matls costs of about $1500, labor of about $720 (2 laborers 1 foreman for 2 days, includes all taxes, etc). Eqpt rentals of, say, $350. Total costs of goods sold, about $2600. I'd price the project at about $6K.

7. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

Hello,

Stonehenge's number sounds in the same ball park I would be in. I'd figure in for pavers at around 1.50 sq ft, then 150 delivery. If they were using something fancy, like a belgard tumbled, then I could see 3+, but most other tumbled are around 2.50 sq foot here.

QP, machine, trucking, removal of soil (if needed), would cost me around 700 total. I sub out to an excavator with tandom/bobcat/mini-excavator. He would come in, escavate, truck stone in, move pallets, spread stone, remove fill.

I would then do the job by myself (why, I don't know), and can imagine that in 3 days (including the day the excavator was there) I would be very close to finishing. With 3 guys on the job, definitely could get done in 2, but with 2 and all of the stone pick-ups, sand pickup, rental returns/pickups, etc, I'd figure 3 for yourself.

Being this is one of your first sizable job, I would say relax when doing it. I think everyone would agree that they'd rather hear that the job took you 4-5 days and was done right rather than it took you 2 and was a complete disaster.

By the way, If the market will bare John's prices, I say we all pack up shop and head on up to his parts! (I'm sure he misread the info though)

steveair

8. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, I did.... I was assuming that the material costs were accurate.

It appears that I did project the labor time frame close, given what Stonehenge said. You guys apparently put much more thought into your answers than I did.

Reminds me that I gotta think before I speak.....

Knew this forum was good for something....

9. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Ok thought I was going nuts here :) I knew it shouldn't cost that much to do this job:) We could toss this job in a day with three guys, but take your time and do it right.

Nice thing about Bricks they don't die :)

10. neighborguy

figured out why my materials cost was so high, I calculated the number of brick per square foot (4.6) and then multiplied this number (the number of pavers) by the price per square foot. My paver cost was $3100 should be only about 700 dollars (at 1.6065 per sq ft)
    431 sq ft X 1.6065 = 692.4015 You guys just saved my rear. Thanks a ton.