Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone , I have a problem and I need your help.I know absolutely nothing about grass/lawns. I bought a brand new house 2 years ago and I have noticed brown spotts here and there that eventually turn to patches of dirt almost. My lawn guy said to lay down a chinch bug granular product which I did. My pest control service which also does lawn service and spraying said its not chinch bugs but its a fungus. They want a rediculous amount of money and yearly contracts to treat it.

Can anyone help me and tell what I can do to treat this myself. They also said I need to put fertilizer. What can I do about the Fungus? Is there an all around fungicide I can apply? Please help. I have my 1st baby on the way and cant afford to pay someone something I can hopefully do myself. I look forward to your advice. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Dew80:
The truth about St. Augustine fungus is that it should be prevented with monthly treatments. Fungus will destroy St. Augustine quickly. First thinning and the decline.
Cut your watering down and the only water in the mornings. Second, bag your clippings to give your lawn more air next to the soil. Finally you are in more of a curative situation than preventive and a fungicide will have to be applied. The fungicide itself is very expensive. Heritage which needs to be applied with a sprayer is something like $500/pound. Eagle is $80/pint and a 7.2 pound bag of Insignia is $1200. There are many cheaper things to put on the grass but they are more of a preventive. Do not use Baleyton's or BannerMaxx as they will curtain growth.
Maybe one of the guys here is close bye and can apply a treatment for you. Where do you live? It is important to rotate application choice each month.
I know you did not want to hear this but it is better to have someone apply the right stuff than try to do it yourself and loose your whole lawn because of the wrong or cheap fix that is supposed to work but never will.
I just bought some insignia for my lawns in SC but in the 2.4lb bag--close to $400.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Roy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.