Help with Harley Rake or Power rake decisions

OP
SAAS

SAAS

LawnSite Member
Like any good tool, the Harley/power box rake requires skill and training... and to a certain extent talent.

The toro soil conditioner will turn the fattest dumbest laziest employee into to something useful

But it’s also not going to take a lump off a lawn and shove it around into a low spot like a Harley would.

A catch 22 really
A lightsaber needs a Jedi
If the force isn’t flowing through the Harley rake operator, he might as well get off and use a rake.
But in the right hands, it can do everything the soil conditioner can and more.

Just keep in mind... toro basically invented the mini skid steer as we know it.
Yeah, so I had to call my 20 year old son down to read your post. He's not your normal 20 year old and runs a 1/3 of everything we do, but we had a serious discussion over your post. After having a well deserved laugh reflecting on our own stuff we talked about the things we have given the guys like: light sabers, a millennium falcon, individual R2-D2's in the form of cell phones and it's a long list. If they made a parody movie that compares "Star Wars" to "Dumb & Dumber," I would watch it and unfortunately I could probably find a ton of parallels.

But yeah....our whole business model is based on putting investment toward machinery and not people. The thought of taking a challenged employee and turning them into something productive is very exciting to me. I know this is F up but I wish I could dial it down to just, "hey man, at 8 AM you need to push this green button"......"At 5 pm you need to push the red one."

I am going to start looking at Toro more closer.

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
Yeah, so I had to call my 20 year old son down to read your post. He's not your normal 20 year old and runs a 1/3 of everything we do, but we had a serious discussion over your post. After having a well deserved laugh reflecting on our own stuff we talked about the things we have given the guys like: light sabers, a millennium falcon, individual R2-D2's in the form of cell phones and it's a long list. If they made a parody movie that compares "Star Wars" to "Dumb & Dumber," I would watch it and unfortunately I could probably find a ton of parallels.

But yeah....our whole business model is based on putting investment toward machinery and not people. The thought of taking a challenged employee and turning them into something productive is very exciting to me. I know this is F up but I wish I could dial it down to just, "hey man, at 8 AM you need to push this green button"......"At 5 pm you need to push the red one."

I am going to start looking at Toro more closer.

I use the term “light saber” as to mean ‘mythical tool that actually doesn’t exist but everyone wishes it did’

Most people expect anything they spend a decent amount of money on to be a lightsaber and ***** and moan when it’s not.

As far as earthwork and landscaping are concerned, the Harley rake is about as close to that mythical tool as you can get.
But without the training and magical talent of the user... it sits there. Literally useless, I have had crews literally tell me “it’s faster if we just rake it”
So... you’re admitting you’re a talentless twit?
So if I get in this and do your job while you eat lunch , I don’t need you then and you’re all fired?
Well ummmm errrr ahhhh... yea, can’t tell you how many guys I’ve let go like that before.

Can you use this?
Do you know what it is?
Yes? Great! Then they say it’s faster to hand rake...

Wanna bes.

In my estimation the tool is not hard to use.
But I have mythical talent and training.
We call it experience and work ethic and it’s about as rare as being a Jedi is, apparently and no one knows what it is or how to get it.

The toro dingos soil conditioner is more like the millennium falcon (something that does the job for you and you just have to push a button)
But it’s limited in its capacity in that it really ONLY does what I showed you in the attached video.
It doesn’t go back and forth, no shaping sculpting or grading
But what it does do , it’s unrivaled.
Can literally turn exiting crappy stand of grass and moss into ready to plant for new grass in one pass.
Someone who can’t run a Harley rake and refuses to learn how could spend all day doing that and not get it right,
Someone who does know how would still have a pile of debris that needs to be hauled off... little to none with soil conditioner.

Here’s the information on the actual attachment :https://rotadaironusa.com/

It’s a French design
I’ve only ever seen it on a toro dingo , they probably brought the French thing to the US.
I saw a bigger one on the back of a tractor once as a demo but never saw it anywhere else.

But the link gives you a bit more to read about what the attachment does , it also shows one hooked up to a Vermeer mini skid... so you don’t have to buy a dingo to use the attachment

Mark Oomkes

LawnSite Fanatic

Toro bought Dingo from the Australian manufacturer. Yes, they improved upon it, but they did not invent it.

Pretty sure Ramrod was out before Toro bought Dingo as well.

GravelyGuy

LawnSite Silver Member
Toro didn't invent the soil conditioner either. It's just another Toro buy out. It's made by rotadairon.

I have used the Toro rake and the bobcat mini rake. I have an adapter plate to run bobcat attachments. The bobcat unit is much heavier built and had more power being run on the same machine.

jmacd

LawnSite Senior Member
Like any good tool, the Harley/power box rake requires skill and training... and to a certain extent talent.

The toro soil conditioner will turn the fattest dumbest laziest employee into to something useful

But it’s also not going to take a lump off a lawn and shove it around into a low spot like a Harley would.

A catch 22 really
A lightsaber needs a Jedi
If the force isn’t flowing through the Harley rake operator, he might as well get off and use a rake.
But in the right hands, it can do everything the soil conditioner can and more.

TPendagast you have some pretty good posts. We have the Bob Cat version had it since 2004 and has been used on hundreds of acres and your correct its great if you know how to use it. Most people dig tool to deep, go too fast, and don't adjust the depth for changing elevations. When used correctly is can make new construction job site that's covered with rocks, bricks, and everything else go away. You still have to go pick it all up with the bucket though. I paid like $6500 new back then. Here is a photo of it before we painted it for the second time. The power angle is nice. Watch out for the electrical wires for the angle they get damaged out a lot.
IMG_8042.jpeg

Last edited:

stodds12

LawnSite Member
Toro dingos soil conditioner is entirely their own thing
Not related to any other attachment on the market
So this is actually my video / me. The Cultivator is an amazing tool. It essentially buries the rock and organic material and bring the usable topsoil to the surface.

It can help remove dips and high spots on a lawn to a minor extent, but would be best used with a land leveller. The Cultivator rips the lawn out and softens up the material, the land leveller re grades for a new landscape.

Where as a power rake would give you debris, but a one step process to grading and tearing out. I wish I had both to be honest. But you can make do with either or.

stuvecorp

LawnSite Fanatic
The Rotadairon can run both ways. Push dirt but I run backwards for prep. No track marks & really can smooth out a lawn. It can pulverize existing sod but if you run over it to much, it pulls the sod chunks back up. Crosshatch the yard & it is smooth.

It amuses me bigly to watch guys 'harley' a yard & then hand rake the whole thing, no hand raking with Rotadarion. Just perfect seedbed.

Top Forums