Help with Harness-jumper on Old Kohler engine

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Flooddc, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Flooddc

Flooddc LawnSite Member

Hi All,
    I am new to the site and recently discovered this site when I was searching the internet for info.
    Anyway, I bought an old bobcat walk behind with a Kohler engine. I think it's a Kkohler CV20s.
    I knew of the issue when I bought it but now hoping to fix it. The individual that sold it to me show me how to start the mower (basically, short the wire from a starter solenoid to the 12v).
    I am not mechanical incline, but like to do basic hand on work.
    Now I observed the wirings on the motor and noticed there is a red wire hanging loss/or break from the connector that go into the engine. That wire also traced to the start knob/key.
    I searched the internet and believed I found the right harness jumper for that connector (P/N 2308077). Unfortunately, this harness is obsolete. Would be appreciated if you know where I can find one.
    Alternately, I can try to connect the wire back to the right pin.Seem like there is only 2 pin on the connector, but I do not want to take a 50/50 chance. If by any chance you know the right pin for it, please advice. Thank you
    Let me try to load a few photo of what I am talk about.
    IMG_6711.JPG

2. OP
    OP
    Flooddc

Flooddc LawnSite Member

Okay,
    I pulled the connector and discovered that there is only one pin out of the 2 so it was obvious which pin the red wire connected to. IMG_6755.JPG
    I made a temp jumper (red wire with yellow pin as above) to that pin and connected it to the hardness. Still No go!!
    I traced that wire and that go into the B (battery) terminal of the key switch. I tested the wire and not getting 12V at the B terminal. So I pulled the whole wire hardness, inspected and tested for continuity. All wires in the hardness is fine. I also test the key switch and also functional as well.

I then check at the engine connector (pic above) and still not getting a voltage reading. Why?
    My observation as follow (pardon my ignorance as I am not familiar with engine in general):
    Battery (+) connected to the solenoid terminal and that it.
    Where is the 12v that feed the B terminal on the key switch come from?
    Does the solenoid terminal internally somehow connect to the engine and provide the 12v output to the red wire which in turn feed the B terminal of the key switch? Is this mean my solenoid is bad? Thanks in advance.

3. Walker56

Walker56 LawnSite Fanatic

sjessen likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Flooddc

Flooddc LawnSite Member

Thanks for the links. I'll see if I can make sense from them. Haven't really examine electrical schematics in almost 30 years :)

5. Walker56

Thankfully, the schematics you will be looking at are fairly simple and most importantly are color coded. Of course, never trust that a soecific colored wire means that it is connected to the proper connector position. Someone previous to you could have swapped wires in a connector causing many headaches.

sjessen and hort101 like this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Flooddc

Flooddc LawnSite Member

Okay!
    I studied the schematics (they are similar). Accordingly, the battery (+) feed into the solenoid (Stud). From the same solenoid (stud), purple wire feed into the voltage regulator and red wire with a fuse feed back into the connector which I assumed feed the B terminal of the key switch.
    I guess that I have to take the engine cover off to see if there is a fuse in that red wire?

7. Walker56

I have not studied the schematics but in my experience, there are no fuses under the engine cover. They are usually somewhere between the battery + cable at the battery and the B+ at the key switch. You need to concentrate on the mower schematic at this point. The engine schematic shown in the Kohler book is a stand alone system from Kohler. Most mfg’s connect into the Kohler harness at the engine and use thier own key switch, safties etc, which are not shown on the Kohler schematic. I provided it to you to use as a guide for your engine wiring.

sjessen likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    Flooddc

Flooddc LawnSite Member

Hmm! then it's the fuse that I see on the harness. Will have to poke around then as I don't see any additional wires connected to the stud of the starter solenoid other than the 12v + from the battery. Thanks