Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a lawn right now that is infested with a yellowing "weed" (it is not kylinga) it actually looks like a fescue so I am wondering if it is a possible nutrient deficiency/excess (previous soil test suggest it is not but that was taken a few years ago. This is the 3rd season where it starts to appear in July and by August it is invasive. Similar lawns in the same area are not showing this issues.
This is in Ocean City, New Jesrsey

Thanks for any input, photos attached.

Attachments

Registered
Have you seen any seed heads?
Is there a crease in the leaf blade?

Super Moderator
Mysterious. Looks kind of like old-fashioned perennial (or annual) rye with a clump of improved turf type tall fescue in the center.
Or--maybe the soil is different--did you apply lime? Is the soil alkaline? Over limed? Iron deficiency? Other micronutrient deficiency? Alkaline minerals leaching out from the concrete pavers?
If it appears every year in late summer--it could be crabgrass. Or a summer annual like goosegrass.

Registered
Hi there, they do have a crease and I have not seen seed heads.
Thanks for any help
Try googling false green kyllinga and annual ryegrass and compare the pictures to what you are seeing in person

Registered
Try googling false green kyllinga and annual ryegrass and compare the pictures to what you are seeing in person
Also try crushing some leaf blades between your fingers and see if it smells sweet

1 - 8 of 8 Posts