Help with large property bid!

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by El Marco, Oct 26, 2018.

1. El Marco

El Marco LawnSite Member

$30 ish an acre. NO trimming or blowing. In and out in about 2-2.5 hrs with 2 of us. With a 52 and 48 scag I do a few cleanups a year and it’s all bid as extra work.

2. PremierLandscapeForsyth

PremierLandscapeForsyth LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

Are the sports fields included in this? That could brake you if you do not have a triplex if that's what they want …

3. El Marco

El Marco LawnSite Member

Hey are. And I asked. No need for reel mower... Thanks for the heads up!

4. PremierLandscapeForsyth

from Georgia

cool makes your life alot easier

5. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Bronze Member

The thing about it is the limited mowing season. What state are you in? That is a lot of string trimming. I just don't really like these 30 week service type accounts. You bust butt and don't have any income in the winter. I realize it's all according to where you live and the weather. But also consider having to work around a lot of cars, people constantly walking by, etc...The last thing you want to do is have a rock hit a kid or something. In the summer when the kids are out it will be great. That is still a lot of mowing. It can be done but just consider the strain it will put on you. You will need at least 2 larger zero turns going though. You just don't want to spread the work out over the whole week..Then again, maybe they don't care, but they might. They would probably rather have a company come in and hit it hard and be gone in a couple of days tops.

I have done a good bit of work for some of my local schools. I like it and hate it at the same time. lol...I know one time when our schools had the grounds contracted out, they only wanted service done after school hours. That doesn't work good for me. Just don't hold back on the price. If you get it, you want to make money. Sadly someone will come along and bid really low. I would be at $55-60,000 from just looking at it on the map. Of course seeing it in person would be better. Just don't short yourself.

El Marco likes this.
  6. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Light equipment is like a bobcat
    Heavy equipment I’d like an excavator or wheel loader
    There’s a price difference due to cost of equipment and the fact that the heavy equipment operator typically gets paid more as well.

7. El Marco

El Marco LawnSite Member

All good advice. Most of which I’ve thought about. And I agree, they aren’t gonna want it spread out. I plan on hitting it with a minimum of 2 larger mowers and possible a 3rd. That is dependant of my work force. I have gone to look at it a few times now and finalizing my quote. I am going to bid it high enough that if I get it it’ll be worth it for sure. I’ve been incessantly crunching numbers this week and I’m just under that larger number. Thanks for the input.

landscaper22 likes this.
  8. El Marco

El Marco LawnSite Member

And I’m located in northern / NE Ohio

landscaper22 likes this.
  9. PremierLandscapeForsyth

from Georgia

They do the local high school, 47 acre school property using 4 60 industrial grasshoppers and two Hustler diesel mowers. They do it in under 7 hours in and out.

El Marco likes this.
  10. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Bronze Member

Good luck to you. Hope you get it. I have been debating on putting a bid in for my local schools. They are starting to put it out for bid again after having it in house for a few years. I still did some contract work for them though as they don't have good help and can't get the work done.

The thing is, they are putting it out for bids by area. So that would mean I have 7 schools ( I think it is 7) in the area I would bid on. I have serviced all of these schools before so I have experience with them and know what it will take. I just have a lot of reservations. I know they will end up taking a low bid because it's government. Plus I have too much to deal with as far as possible liability claims. I would need a whole new crew of 3 people and a lot of equipment. I just don't see the profit being enough to deal with the hassle. Then have to worry about help laying out or quitting all the time. I already have a full schedule in the summer and can't be picking up another crew's slack. I used to think paying employees more would make a difference, but this just isn't a job people are jumping for joy about. Always going to be high turn over. It's a lot to think about.

El Marco likes this.