Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i started out mowing in the begining of this year. I have 25 accounts right now. I got these through my dads friends. im 17. i just started advertising. i plan to double my contracts by next year. i started out with a 1998 snapper 42" cut tractor. I then bought a 1998 48" great dane stand on. i started out with 0 dollars in revenue after buying the snapper. then with the money i made i bought the great dane. i stihl fs 85 trimmer. 1 redmaxx statro charged trimmer. 1 redmax eb7001 blower. and an enclosed trailer. next year i plan on buying a zero turn. however i need help with what to buy. im leaning towards the simplicity stallion. the only other machines im considering are a scag or exmark. please give your opionon on my situition. thanks for the help.

·
Registered
85 Posts
(Exmark) We have 4 of them 2, 60" 26hp and 2, 60" 28hp just traded are 72'' on the new 28hp all ESP. You'll never use your old mowers again.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Will the Dane not do what you need?

Not sure what size your accounts are, but I worked for a guy and our crew was doing up to 45 small lawns a day with an ancient 48" Scag walk behind with a sulky.

Only problem I could see is if you have huge yards, or if your '98 model is starting to get ragged

·
Banned
1,647 Posts
Use what you have

Put some money aside, When the 48 Dane needs to be replaced then by all means replace it.

If you gain some 10 or 15 lawns next year then worry about it.

You might want to invest in a ground blower for the fall leaves now.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i have school and football practice. im taking college summer classes. my dad works until 4 which is when ill get home. so we will need another unit. we only have about 5 town lawns. the rest are from 1-6 acres. which is why we will need another unit.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Ditch the snapper.... you don't need a garden tractor to mow.... too slow!
Do you Like the Great Dane? Gonna hold on to it for a while?

Are the lots you are gonna do with the Z level and open? or hilly with many close landscape features?

DEMO, DEMO, DEMO....... start now, buy when you feel you're ready.

And definitely get a ground blower soon....... don't wait for the leaves to start falling! It'll pay for itself VERY QUICKLY... quicker, most likely, than any other equipment you own.
As for my opinions..... eXmark, and Little Wonder.

Good Luck!

Where in NY is Walton? I'm in Dutchess County.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Can't beat ExMark, here at least! Service after the sale is outstanding here...may not be in your area. Service after the sale should be about 50% of your decision. Ex Mark accounts for over 50% of all commercial mowers sold! What does that tell you?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i live in Delaware County, NY
i love the great dane. its great for banks with trees on them.
plus you can get in tighter spaces. nothing but good luck.
if i didnt ask for your advice i would of probablly bought the simplicity. im just curious why so many people like exmark the best. anything bad about simplicity. by the way. thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
is the exmark that much better than the rest

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
when i think of simplicity, i think of our POS 8hp simplicity lawn mower we inherited from my grandfather, its a true piece of garbage, the frame twists as you go over uneven ground, deck ain't level, hard to start, etc.

Now i know that their bigger machines may not be made the same way, but they could be "skimping" on them too.

Do what everyone here is tellin you to do, buy a quality piece of machinery. Demo anything before you buy it, use it on a few properties, if not them all.

My setup is a 50" gravely WB right now, with the properties i have now i'm going to change my setup to a 60" gravely 260Z and a 36-42" hydro wb in the spring.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am with veltenslawn. Is exmark that much better than the rest? I looked at the Exmark, Great Dane, Scag, JD, Gravely and Lesco models, took a demo cut/ride and went with the Gravely PM152Z. Easy access to oil/hydro filters, no maint. spindles, hydraulic deck lift, controls on the side, 2-5gal fuel tanks, etc. I had a 50" Gravely WB before and actually looked at Gravely ZTR's almost last as so not to be biased in making a major purchase. ALL of the equipment I looked at are excellent quality machines and I just liked the Gravely with all the options. It just felt right. This is the reason there are 20 different mfg. of these type mowers to choose from. Just as there are many different auto makers to choose from.

I would keep the 48" Great Dane until you land the extra work next year and then make a decision to buy. Just look at ALL the different mowers and see what fits your style/work load.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
is it better to buy in the spring or fall?

·
Registered
2 Posts
If Walton is were I think it is, then you might want to take a short drive up to Endicott NY to Union Hardware. The guys up there are great and they demo to. They have the complete Exmark line!!!!

·
Registered
565 Posts
I run 2 danes an LX and a 99 cheriot 25/61 both are great machines. I prefer the sticks over the lap bars, more comfortable for me. If you do get a Z spend the extra and get the suspension seat.

I have nothing aginst Exmarks. I like the verticle shaft engine better the hydros are right at the same, from what I have seen.

One thing you can look at is if you keep the stander you have the spindles will interchange. Other then belts thats about all I have had trouble with.

The best advice I can give you is demo, demo, demo, and get what you like best. Don't buy because so & so said theirs was better then those. At one time and I can remember when on this site you wern't nothin' if you didn't have a Dixie. (I know some will argue with that statement but I have been here longer then most) I remember when Eric introduced himself on Lawnicure.

Jim

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yeah we are about an hour from endicott.
will the models improve that much for 2004 or not.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.