1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Help with new sod install

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Wonder Woman, Sep 23, 2017.

1. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman LawnSite Member

Okay I am in southeast Michigan and have a client with new construction and a rough graded lot that wants to install a sprinkler system and new sod. I know I have to grade the lot then add topsoil and grade again. What I don't know is the timing for the company doing the sprinkler system. I mean what order it should be done in. The customer has gotten quotes from companies that will do both but if I'm cheaper on the sod he will split it up. The lot is typical post construction (crushed concrete and other rubble). I want to try and avoid any haul away of the junk and just add 4" of topsoil.

I've read that the sprinkler folks can install after I grade and add topsoil then grade again. They will come back and add heads after I lay sod? Anyone know if this is correct?

2. jc1

jc1 LawnSite Silver Member

I would grade then pull irrigation pipe set heads then prep and roll sod out.

3. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Sprinkler guy here. Spread loam , get it to grade , don't finish rake it. Install irrigation , then finish rake and sod.

Mdirrigation likes this.
  4. Wonder Woman

Thanks for the help. I plan on using a skid steer to spread the topsoil. How can I avoid the sprinkler head set ups?

5. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

Get some flags

6. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

The irrigation guy will have them flagged along with valve boxes

hort101 and JLSLLC like this.
  7. Wonder Woman

The timing would be tricky with separate companies doing the work. I thought about doing sod this year and then sprinklers I the spring. The client want both done simultaneously. He's thinking it might be cheaper to have me do sod and sprinkler company do just the sprinklers but from what you guys are saying it might not be as efficient.

8. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Depends on relationship you have with sprinkler guy.I have a landscaper we work real well with. Wrapped up an install this past Friday at 1 pm. When I went back at 6 pm to get paid the place was already hydroseeded.

hort101 likes this.
  9. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Gold Member

I would tell you to do all your grading and topsoil everything but final raking . i would install the complete system . You come back lay the sod and turn on the sprinkler system . So there may be time in between , thats normal

hort101 likes this.
  10. kawasaki guy

kawasaki guy LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from USA

Rough grade, then irrigation, and then topsoil. Otherwise when they trench, all of the junk goes to the top...Unless they plow the pipes in.

Mdirrigation likes this.