Help with new ZTR decision

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
That is the true 31hp. I wouldn't worry too much about the fuel usage either. I have a Kawi carb 25.5 motor on a 61in stander that has plenty of power but a efi kohler 25hp on a ZTR might not be enough if you got into real thick stuff.
That's true too, and the 25 is really a 24.6. Once again, STILL, Kohler inflates the ratings numbers to make their crap sound better.

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
Sooo... I knew waiting until the end of the year to buy would be a gamble and it turns out it is. Went to a few dealers yesterday to see what kind of deal they're willing to make on existing stock and it seems like stock is pretty limited right now - as I knew it probably would be. These are what they have and what they're willing to sell for...

JD 925M 60" with 25hp kohler EFI, light kit installed, 0 hours - $7400 out the door. This unit actually isn't even in stock yet but dealer ordered 75 units for next year and 1st truck is expected to arrive tomorrow. They also have a few 997's in stock but those are more than I need and more $$. Their order of 930's, 950's and 960's won't be delivered until next spring so this 925 is my only option there.

Scag TT2 61" 31hp DFI, light kit installed,- $10562 out the door

Scag Cheetah 61" 31hp kawi FX, light kit installed, - $9094 OTD

Scag Cheetah 61" 31hp kawi FX demo unit (never left dealer, on-site demo use only), lights installed, 7.0 hours - $8552 OTD

Farris IS700Z 61" - 24hp kawi FS, lights N/A - $7099 OTD
Farris IS2100Z 61" - 28hp Vanguard EFI, lights N/A - $9599 OTD

Truly torn between the 925M and the demo Cheetah. The power of the kohler EFI that I've read about worries me but is it worth spending another $1K for the cheetah with a thirsty 31hp? By the way, the future bagging option that I mentioned before is a no-go as I wouldn't be able to fit in 3/4 of the areas with a bag attached, if that makes a difference.
Personally, I'd want the TT II and the 31 DFI, but that demo Cheetah is a great deal. However, again for me personally, I'd pony up an additional 500 bucks to get a totally new unit that no yahoo had ever had the chance to surge the hydros on, especially when they are new and not broken in. Peace of mind is worth a lot to me.

OP
C

CodeWest

LawnSite Member
I would love to have the tt2 but it may be a bit more mower than I need.

Does anyone happen to know the gph of the fx921 vs the Kohler EFI? Or even the 31 dfi?

Brules

LawnSite Senior Member
Can't go wrong with either.....if you could get tweels on the Deere it would be even better on hill and climbing curbs etc. Plus that hill isn't THAT bad lol....Does the Scag come with full as new warranty?

Deere is 3yr warranty, Scag is 2yr for commercial.....plus Deere has loaner program (I assume Church would buy so it is commercial?).

Hard choice to make, but at least it is between the 2 best!

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic

Does anyone happen to know the gph of the fx921 vs the Kohler EFI? Or even the 31 dfi?
There are a few guys that are posting regularly on here that run the 31 DFI and they are getting right around 1.2 gph IIRC. the 921 is going to be around 1.8 - 2 gph on aveage.

As far as the Tt II.....I've never one time heard someone come back on here and say that they had bought too much mower. Never.

OP
C

CodeWest

LawnSite Member
Scag demo unit would still receive full warranty and literally looks brand new.

I asked about tweels but dealer said he couldn't cut me much of a price break on them. He told me list was $700/pair so I didn't even ask what my price would be. Guess he's been selling a lot of them though. Said one LCO here would go through a pallet of tires each year from mowing ditches and vacant lots but put tweels on his machines this year and said they still look like they're barely used. I'm not sure how many tires are on a pallet but I'm guessing he's happy with his investment.

That's the other part of my tough choice - dealers. I've had a really good relationship with our Deere dealer and they've always been responsive and helpful when I've had a problem. Plus they have the free loaner program. The Scag dealer, on the other hand, is a small shop that services a LOT of various brands for our LCO's and looked to be a bit backed up in the service area. I've never dealt with them so service after the sale is an unknown.

Brules

LawnSite Senior Member
Then go Deere.....dealer is HUGE. A bad dealer can make a GREAT mower S U C K. You know what you are getting with the JD dealer....that would make the decision for me right there. I am lucky I have 3 BIG dealers within 20 miles of me.

13Razorbackfan

LawnSite Silver Member
Why not wait till spring? That's what I am doing. Also I am able to get full price for my 920m waiting till spring to sell it. Sometimes dealers are willing to make more deals on machines they have tying up $$$ sitting on their lots. The machine I will be ordering is not something they have in stock so they will have to order so other than greenfleet I won't be getting the kind of price I would get if they had 20 just like it in stock.

OP
C

CodeWest

LawnSite Member
Sometimes dealers are willing to make more deals on machines they have tying up $$$ sitting on their lots.

That's actually PART of the reason I'm buying now. Dealers are trying to clear their inventory to make room for the incoming snowblowers, plows and other winter equipment. I went to shop around earlier this year at my Deere dealer and they informed me that their fiscal year ends on October 31st and it's also when they try to clear our their stock. He recommended I come back in October. Was told the same at the Ferris dealer. Unfortunately, the downside of that is the pickle I'm caught in now. Limited choices of remaining inventory.

The other reason I'm trying to buy now instead of waiting until Spring is that I have $7k in the budget for it this year (started at $10k but had reassign $3k for other stuff that came up). Use it or lose it, basically.

River

LawnSite Silver Member

Our 25 kohler efi burns about 1.1 and our 31 dfi burns 1.2. The dfi is more quiet has more pound for pound power and it does not get hot since it is a liquid cooled engine. I put coolant in it once a year so thats not a bigg issue. The kohler efi can bog more easily and they run at lower rpms to meet emissions and they lie about the horsepower ratings. Im never buying a kohler engine again and im selling it for a kawasaki after this season.

Top Forums