Help with ohio business

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TNLC owners, Jan 3, 2004.

  1. TNLC owners

    TNLC owners LawnSite Member
    Messages: 41

    I am just starting out in the lawn care business and need a few pointers..... such as how to go about being a legitimate business. I've been looking around on the 'net but still having trouble. Any help would be appreciated.
  2. WeatherMan

    WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 692

    Hello welcome to lawnsite and congrats on your new Buss. A couple of hints for ya

    1. Get a buss. Lic.
    2. Get Insurance
    3. Dont Lowball
    4. Have Fun Keeping up with the big guys :waving:

    Oh ya Buy John Deere Equipment If you need a good dealer Let me know
  3. TNLC owners

    TNLC owners LawnSite Member
    Messages: 41

    Thanks for the info.... but I need more specific information.

    I know I need a license..... service vendors, correct? so I have that but on the application it has ohio corporate charter number.... what the heck is that and how do I get one??

    also on the license application there is the employer identification number and I have the application for that and I'm guessin' I need to have that.

    I also found on the sec. of states webpage an application to register my business. I'm guessing I need to do this first. On that application it asks if your want a Trade Name or Fictitious name... I'm guessing Trade Name.... but I want to know for sure.

    Now for taxes..... real confused about that
    Once I have applied for all the above will I get something about taxes?? such as how much to pay and all that.

    As for insurance... don't have a clue about that either...anyone have any ideas for a good company to go through in Ohio?

    Thank you for any help.... if it would be easier you can e-mail me
  4. olderthandirt

    olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here
    Messages: 4,899

    First are you doing business as dba or llc ,inc.? you need to post that info I assume your DBA otherwise you would have an attorney drawing up the papar work. If your dba your ein is your ss# register your biz means to pick a name, dba- doing business as xxxxxx co. They will send you tax forms and tell you how much to collect [sales tax] and when to send it in. You don't have to worry about taxes you will get more info than you will ever want. AS far as ins. you have to shop around for what you will be doing but you want a biz. liability policy + equipment coverage. any ins. co should get you started

  5. WeatherMan

    WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 692

    Could not have said it better
  6. TNLC owners

    TNLC owners LawnSite Member
    Messages: 41


    Thanks for the info. I will be filing as a sole owner. (is that the same as DBA). As for the EIN --- I have an application to receive one so are you sure it is just my SS number?
    Also, what is an Ohio corporate charter number or does that not even apply to me?

    Thanks for all the help!
  7. riches139

    riches139 LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 369

    If you are a sole owner with no employees, you do not need the EIN. Your ss# is your tax filing ID#.
    Check instructions at
  8. turfsurfer

    turfsurfer LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 364

    Sounds like you might be a bit overwhelmed with all the possibilities, most of which don't apply to you. Don't worry about the corporate charter number because you are a sole proprietor not a corporation. Just fill out the service vendors license form. If you will be collecting more than $200 a month in sales tax you will probably file monthly tax forms to send the money in. You will get the forms in the mail and you fill them out and send them in with the collected sales tax by the 23rd of the month. You can also do it over the internet through the Ohio business gateway. Just be sure to keep track of how much work you do in each county and charge the appropriate tax. On the tax form you will list sales and tax collected for each county where work is performed. As you add employees you will have to get an employer ID number and file other paperwork such as workers comp and unemployment insurance. Make sure to get good insurance, especially since you are a sole proprietor and therefore wholly responsible for damages.
    Yes, this is all a bit of a pain and extra expense, but it does all help to set you apart from the scrub fly-by-nighters and you should remember this when you price your work. Lowballing helps noone so do a search on here and get an idea on what the going rates are for the services you will be providing. Good Luck.
  9. TNLC owners

    TNLC owners LawnSite Member
    Messages: 41

    TurfSurfer, Thanks for your help. I am trying to get this business thing off the ground and any help anyone can provide is appreciated very much. I am a younger guy and just want to do things the right way and come across as professional as possible.
  10. LawnScapers of Dayton

    LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH
    Messages: 2,572

    I use Cincinnati Insurance....have been great for years.


Share This Page