1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Help With Pine Straw Estimate Job.

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by nograss, Apr 8, 2006.

1. nograss

nograss LawnSite Member

If Pine straw costs $4.00 a bale, do you double the cost of bales and add labor plus labor for deep edging? I have a yard that takes 120 bales.
    thanks for the help in advance.

2. Shane7258

Shane7258 LawnSite Member

I am getting straw for 2.75 a bale thats with a 10% cut since I buy so much for my yearly accounts a 3 a bail 20 dollar delivery fee and $40 an hour thats with 10 or more bails

If they use up to ten bails and they are yearly I charge 3 a bail with 20 delivery and 20 to lay it

I laid 50 in 3 hrs on one account

I ve got a new account to lay 7 bails and to put a weed control blanket down and he said thats what about 150 and I said ahh that is ball park since we have to worry about labor but its safe to say about that and I was smiling all the way to the truck

I am thinking 30 minutes worth of work an hour tops I could ease off but its all about satisfaction

3. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I guess I'm just a simple guy. Usually I go about 2.25-2.5 the cost of my bales. Around here I'd probably go $1200 for the whole job unless that edging is real extensive.

4. IRRITECH

IRRITECH LawnSite Senior Member

if you guys are getting more than 5.50 a bale in your areas your way ahead of Atlanta. Pinestraw is the biggest pain in the ***.

5. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

We get pinestraw for $3.65/yd unless we buy over 25 bales, then it is $3.25. You can normally find a supplier that offers straw installation for $5.25 installed around here. I get them to do it, charge my customer 8.00-8.50 bale installed and I don't move a finger.