1. Maintaining Company Culture During Stressful Times

How do you maintain a positive company culture during a time of social distancing, economic uncertainty, and health worries? Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Help with pop-ups

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Smokindog, Mar 11, 2020.

1. Smokindog

Smokindog LawnSite Senior Member

BACKGROUND

I'm going into my 6th full season on a well for irrigation. Previously the system was on city water and original install was in 2002. I'm not the original owner but judging from the condition of the lawn when we purchased 9 years ago, the previous owners didn't water as much as they should :) Understandable as the cost of water is why I had a well drilled.

I recently expanded my system by splitting a zone and extending coverage for some changes we've made to the landscape. I noticed a brown coating inside some areas of the mainline and laterals when I split the zone but it washed/rubbed out easily and wasn't a "solid coating" in all the pipes. It was very very fine material but I didn't give things a second thought.

The well water is actually crystal clear to the eye and odorless. It tested well as part of the initial certification (sorry, can't find the reports).

For giggles I filled a ball jar shortly after the initial conversion and set it on the shelf. To this day it is clear except for a bit of what I believe to be lime settling on the bottom.

The well has a sand separator that I flush ever other week and it's usually very clean.

The main line is 1.25" (blue line in diagram) and the valves are 1" with 1" "zone main" and 3/4" laterals.

THE ISSUE

Recently, I'm noticing more and more popups either not fully extending and/or not retracting immediately when the zone shuts off. When I go out to do some "spring maintenance" today I can find an original for make/model. I haven't kept any of those previously replaced. For what it's worth, the original timer was a Rain Bird ESP 16-LX Plus, the rotors were primarily Hunter PGP, and all the valves are Rain Bird.

QUESTION

Is it worth trying to remove and clean the popups or just replace them? I've got 9 popup zones. This picture needs to be updated for the zone split but it's close enough for this discussion. The changes/adjustments I recently made concern Zones 11 and 12 making 2 zones into 3 while adding 5 new heads. This is from the split of zone 8 into 8/9 and addition of 4 heads from 2 years ago.

upload_2020-3-11_10-12-1.png

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
  2. rclawn

rclawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I don’t have an answer unfortunately but i have a random question, are you an attorney? Just asking because of the way you formatted the post, lol.

3. OP
    OP
    Smokindog

:)

NOPE, retired high tech engineer and sales/marketing professional :)

rclawn likes this.
  4. Optimal Irrigation Corp.

Optimal Irrigation Corp. LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

By pop-ups do you mean sprays? Or rotors?

5. OP
    OP
    Smokindog

6. Optimal Irrigation Corp.

from Ontario

When they aren't fully extending, is it a pressure / volume issue? Like is there significant flow for the zone?
    If it's just a dirt issue then yes, I'd say clean them. If you install new, you'll get the same result (heads not retracting) in more or less the same amount of time as cleaning them.

hort101 likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Smokindog

It's not pressure/volume. It's something that has been developing over time. Most are going into their 19th season and people have said that they do just wear out. Plus, all the rotor zones are fine

Yesterday I got to thinking I may buy enough new to cover one zone and then "hop scotch" the cleaning process zone by zone. I see Rain Bird 1804 bodies for under $1.50 each online. Is that a reliable spray head? At that price it may not be worth the time to clean and easier to just replace them :)

Sorry I haven't gone out to dig one up, I got diverted into other tasks. I just put down multiple pallets of sod and have been tending to rolling, feeding, ...............

Open to recommendations for replacements if folks have them. I'm going to guess 75 or more in all the spray zones. FWIW, I used 1800's in the expansion I just did out back.

8. Optimal Irrigation Corp.

from Ontario

Right, if you're not replacing with the rainbird seal a matic (SAM) or pressure regulated heads then they are not that expensive. The 1800s should work fine for your application.

Smokindog likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    Smokindog

The Hunter PRO-SPRAY Spray Head 4" (PROS-04) are even cheaper than the Rain Bird. They're also rated better on a couple sites. Any input on using the Hunter instead???? Both are compatible with all "standard female nozzles" per the descriptions (I plan to clean and reuse the existing nozzles so long as they're undamaged).

10. Optimal Irrigation Corp.

from Ontario

I used to use the hunter pro sprays. I find the seal on the rainbird 1804 to be better.

Smokindog likes this.