1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Help with Pricing landscaping job

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by jdigreg2, May 30, 2008.

1. jdigreg2

jdigreg2 LawnSite Member

Hi everyone, i recently got a landscaping job and i am having trouble figuring a labor price to tell the man. Below is a summary of the work:

-Create an approx. 14 X 3 curvy bed in the front of home out of lawn
    -Remove medium size tree (8 in. diameter) and roots and dispose
    -Turn soil and add peet top soil etc. with some minor leveling.
    -Stacked brick retaining wall around bed 2 bricks high. (higher around edge to level)(customer wants bricks sitting on buried cinder blocks for stability so a 1 ft trench will need to be dug).
    -pick up and planting of 1 rose bush, 1 butterfly bush, 3 spruce, 6 juniper a couple other shrubs and a few flats of impatiens.
    -Mulch area

If anyone could help me decide on a labor price for this work i would greatly appreciate it. I'm thinking somewhere around 1000 but I'm not sure. I don't want to overprice and loose the customer.

2. GraZZmaZter

GraZZmaZter LawnSite Senior Member

First of all, learn how to read ... this is lawn care section.

3. wheels910

wheels910 LawnSite Member

bout $60. It's the going rate in this forum.

4. jdigreg2

jdigreg2 LawnSite Member

you guys r cute, get over it

5. wheels910

wheels910 LawnSite Member

without seeing it, i'm gonna guess 2 guys, 1 day.

The killers in estimating are:

How much of the root system do they want out of the ground and why?

Are the bricks already there, or do you pick those up to?

Digging a curvy foot deep trench and laying cinder block in. Whew, hard to estimate. Not something I do everyday. Could be a time killer.

The planting and mulching shouldn't be that bad.

That's 16-20 hours of labor and $1000 would probably cover it unless you're used to making more or less. If you're worried about losing the job, bid in the $900's. Keeps that thousand dollar mark visually out of their mind.

6. jdigreg2

jdigreg2 LawnSite Member

Thanks alot wheels, finally some1 mature enough to just help me out. i appreciate it just wanted a second opinion which is exactly wat u gave.