1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Help with PTO Clutch John Deere 317

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by jeffthurow, Jan 8, 2005.

1. jeffthurow

jeffthurow LawnSite Member

Hi, Hoping some of you experts can give me some info. I have been having issues with my 317 PTO for my mower deck. The first day I knew I had a problem I was cutting my grass and all of a sudden the amp meter buried itself in the negative and the engine died. I restarted the tractor and it ran fine. I reengaged the PTO and was able to mow about 10 seconds, until the mower again died. It would repeat this pattern anytime I tried to engage the PTO. A week or two later I took the pulley off from the shaft and replaced the bearing in it as it had been making some noise for a while and put it back on. I proceeded to start the tractor, and engage the mower. Although the amp meter again went into negative, the tractor seemed fine. I mowed my lawn without issue for 2 hours. The next week I started the PTO and began mowing. I shut it off to get off the tractor, and when I got back on it would not reengage. This is where I am at now with this situation. When my tractor is cold, it seems to engage. However, if I disengage it and try again, sometimes it will go, but most of the time it does not. The John Deere dealership said it sounds like my Field Winding is bad. I almost took this off when I had the pulley off but I could not figure out how to get in there with my wreches and sockets I have. Anyway. I am looking for any opinions you experts may have before I drop $82 for the Field winding and attempt the installation. Does this sound like my problem?? Any place on the web that had a little more info about field windings I can read up on. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please email me posts at jthurow@comcast.net

Thanks!!!!

Jeff Thurow
    Michigan