Help with purchasing a NEW mower for consumer

Derwood

LawnSite Bronze Member
A co-worker needs a new mower. He moved into a big fancy house with over an acre of wide open, flat lawn. At first he was talking about a used commercial ztr, which was fine, until he told me his budget - $3k.

He doesn't work on his own stuff in terms of repairs or maintenance. He doesn't mind mowing either - says he enjoys it.

So, he asked if I could help him find a new mower (rider) from Lowe's or HD. I could take and educated shot in the dark. But before I did that, I thought I would reach out to my LS friends and see if anyone had an opinion. They have Troybuilt, JD, Cub and Husq at the stores in our areas. I think he'd like as big of a deck as he can afford on as nice of a mower as possible.

Should I steer him towards a dealer for similar mowers?

Before I got into it, I had a Simplicity Brodmoor. I was a decent machine and striped very well. I think it would e out of his price range though.

Any thoughts are appreciated and welcome.

Andrew H

LawnSite Gold Member
Don’t buy a ztr from a box store, go to a local mower shop.
You just said he doesn’t work on his own equipment, HD won’t fix it either so go to a mom and pop shop.

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
Any thoughts on which deer to get with a cap of $3k???
The biggest one he can get for that amount, which isn't going to be that great a machine, but at least as good as or better than the others at those places. Tell him to buy it from a dealer rather than a BB store too. Same exact price, better service when/if needed and he is supporting his local dealer rather than some BB store.

Yatt

LawnSite Senior Member
I see you are in SE Wisconsin. I am a big proponent of buying high end used equipment. Not too far from where you are at is an equipment dealer that has extremely low hour but high end John Deere GTs. Even still, $ 3K is not a lot of budget but they still have a few. Virtually everything has under 150 hours on them.

https://www.lawnpower.com/browse-eq...-industries/Riding-Mower/all-makes/all-models

This Spring I bought a 2018 JD X758, diesel with hydro 4WD and it had 42.9 hours on it, came with a warranty till 2021.

paulsgrass

Banned
Don’t buy a ztr from a box store, go to a local mower shop.
You just said he doesn’t work on his own equipment, HD won’t fix it either so go to a mom and pop shop.
Why not buy from a box store ? The manufacturer will have certified service centers in your area ? Small dealerships are a shot in the dark. I got burned by one ( large dealership ) and it left a bad taste in my mouth.

Smokindog

LawnSite Senior Member
When the local Lowes sells a riding mower around here it is prepped/setup by a dealer and the dealer sticker is on the mower. Now is a good time to buy, t least around here. Lowes typically is marking down their inventory to free up the space for the Holidays. Is there a reason he doesn't want a ZTR? I keep my old LA105 for towing things like my spreader and sprayer as well as for a backup mower. I just saw the Hustler Raptor SD 54 with the Kawasaki engine marked down to $4K at our Lowes. Use your lowes card for an additional 5% off.