1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Help with rock calculation please.

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Steve, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Steve

Steve LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from NE FL

I'm doing my first rock bed and when I went to the store to get info on how much I need I was told I would need 2 yards for 300 square feet, I think he told me 2-2.5" deep for Colorado River Jack 1"-2" just to get me a ball park figure of what it will cost.

Now that my measurements are complete I need to cover a total of 563 sq ft. I called the same business but a different location and I was told I need 4.5 yards, I then called the location I visited the other day and I'm told I need 6 yards. I then searched a site and filled in the measurement for stone 1"-3" said I need 4.6 tons. Does a ton equal a yard? I also did the W x L x 1.67 and got 3.47 yards

So my questions are if I calculate for 2" deep will that be enough? if I had 4.5 yards dropped right next to where its going, how long would it take to disperse it with shovel and wheel barrel?

2. Matthews Lawn Care

Matthews Lawn Care LawnSite Gold Member

1yd = 1 ton is pretty close. I always add a little extra to your calculation.

I couldn’t tell you how long it takes with a shovel but I can tell you I did 7 yds in about 4 hours using my tractor to move the rock and hand raking it.

E9031687-1AEC-4185-B25F-B59DE3DBC5CD.jpeg 4E66EE41-3A41-465D-A880-2F1FB8A0F618.jpeg

Mark Stark, Markusinky and Steve like this.
  3. BlockHead23

BlockHead23 LawnSite Member

We use these guidelines and it seems to be fairly accurate

1"-2" River Rock = 80 square foot per ton at 2 inches deep

2-4" River rock = 70 square foot per ton at 2" deep

4. Mac-s Lawn & Snow

Mac-s Lawn & Snow LawnSite Senior Member

Here are the calculations I use for rock:
    1 yard of rock covers around 100 sq ft at 2.5 inches deep
    1 yard of rock weighs around 1.33 tons
    1.5 inch rock should be installed around 2.5 inches deep
    the larger the rock, the thicker it needs to be installed
    1 yard of rock is equal to 7 or 8 wheelbarrows(jackson)
    If you can install a yard of rock in a hour with just a shovel and wheelbarrow your doing pretty good.

Steve likes this.
  5. MowDaddy

MowDaddy LawnSite Fanatic

My rule is.
    If they want rock, call Mac's.

Steve and Mac-s Lawn & Snow like this.
  6. rclawn

rclawn LawnSite Bronze Member

8155F264-6FEE-4AD7-B2C1-A769D7FD5F58.png This is hands down the best shovel for scooping rock if you are doing by hand. Very durable unless you run over the handle, which I have twice, but cheap to replace!

7. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Fanatic
    from Chicago

Mac needs a 2nd location in the windy city.

Mac-s Lawn & Snow and rclawn like this.
  8. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member