1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Help with spring triming. Newbe

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by RYDER, Apr 3, 2007.

1. RYDER

RYDER LawnSite Member

Help with trimming I am new and one of my accounts wants me to trim some of the plants but I am not sure if thay need to be and how short. It is that tall grass looking stuff about 3-4ft tall and it is brown right now, So do I cut it? If so how short?:confused:

2. Focal Point Landscapes

Focal Point Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like pampas grass , but obviously just guessing . If so , the new vegetation will grow from the root - the brown top needs to be cut to the ground . Several ways to do this , I tie the clump with duct tape , then cut off at ground level with a cordless reciprocating saw or chain saw , depending on size. The duct tape holds the clump together for easy removal and disposal. It is wise to use gloves when handling this stuff , the blade edges are serrated and can cut you .

3. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Pampas grass or ornamental grass, some people call it either one. I usually take some twine or jute string and tie it together real nice, makes for easy clean-up. Usually I cut it leaving about 6-8 inches above the ground. I use my hedge trimmers, they do just fine.

4. RYDER

RYDER LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help.:dancing: