1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Help with Stripped Screw Hole on Mower

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by HAS0586, Jun 16, 2008.

1. HAS0586

HAS0586 LawnSite Member

Hey all,
    The head cover (where it says OHV on the front) on my Honda mower got smashed in and I had to take it off to fix it. When I tried to put it back on, I found that I had somehow stripped one of the holes and one of the screws won't screw in all the way. It leaks a lot of oil. Any way I can fix this? Its a Honda Harmony 2 HRR216 SDA with a GCV-160 engine.

Thanks!
    -Hunter

2. BNR LAWN SERVICES

BNR LAWN SERVICES LawnSite Member

A couple options

First, go to a auto parts store like napa and get a heli coil for it. You will drill out old treads then tap the hole and put a heli coil in place and then new bolt.

Second, take a good bolt out and go to hardware store, get a tap that size and a new bolt and try to retap the ex-histing hole and replace with new bolt.

Third, worse option get a little bigger bolt and silicon. Put silicon on the valve cover and jam the new bolt in there and hope for the best.

3. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

I would try the second option but make sure that you get a bottom tap so that you can make threads all the way to the bottom of the hole.

4. HAS0586

HAS0586 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help guys! I'm off to the hardware store.