1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

    Dismiss Notice

Help with Tree & Shrub Care!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by tiggare10, Mar 22, 2010.

  1. tiggare10

    tiggare10 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 28

    I have customers wanting this service but I have no experience with it. Can anyone please help...products, pricing, servicing, ect?

    I would probably prefer to use a hand/backpack sprayer if possible. Not sure where to start.

    Thanks everyone in advance.
  2. Young Bros

    Young Bros LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 710

    We have been just fertilizing so far, spring and fall. Use stakes on trees and lawn gun on base of shrubs. Slow release is best for trees. Been thinking about the arbor jet so we can do iron, insecticide, and fungicide. If you plan on spraying the trees, you will need a huge pump and a spray skid or something. Our min price is $55.
  3. phasthound

    phasthound LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,146

    Tree & shrub care is much more complicated than turf. You need knowledge of many different species of plants, insects, diseases and environmental stresses. I'd suggest you start by offering organic fertilization, then learn as much as you can from reliable sources before you offer any treatments. And applying pesticides to woody ornamentals requires an additional Category.

    LIBERTYLANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana
    Messages: 1,283

    Excellent adviceThumbs Up
  5. nik

    nik LawnSite Member
    Messages: 185

    Second on the good advice. Be aware that if you find yourself wanting/needing/ hired to spray tall trees that you will need equipment that can deliver product high into a canopy. Even with large droplet size (essentially full stream) that there will be fines as the stream heads up and contacts leaves/branches. These fines may fines more than a few feet. If your treating a tree that sits on a fence there is a big chance that the product will travel or even just drift off the tree into the neighboring yard. If the neighbor's teenage daughter is out sunbathing next door and gets a back full of organophosphate (or even a softer chemical) then your in for it. This happened in the Portland Or area a few years back.

    Trees need need a good IPM program just like grass does. If there are any arborist courses in your area that would definitely be something to look into.

    Proper pruning can make you a mint or make you look like a complete idiot. Scalp a lawn and you can get it to recover in a decent time period. Do a hack job on a tree and it will stick out for years to come.
  6. SeedPro

    SeedPro LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,030

    No offense but you use a lawn gun to fertilize trees and shrubs and you want to buy some 800 dollar arbor jet get down?

    Buy a good soil injection fert lance first man.
  7. Kevin M.

    Kevin M. LawnSite Member
    Messages: 137

    I got two comments -- one of them is to use the search button at the top right of the page and read all about tree and shrub treatments especially when it comes to your part of the country and you gotta learn the shrubs, trees and there diseases and insects cold ! Another question I have is do you have a license to spray chemicals in your state ?
  8. Young Bros

    Young Bros LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 710

    We use stakes for trees and lawn gun for shrubs. At TG they used the lance for trees and a lawn gun for shrubs. Didnt want to poke thru landscaping barrier. Have been thinking of spending $500 (what my rep at zimco quoted) for an arbor jet. Then we could do more than just fert. Maybe prevent the emerald ash borer.

    Where did you get you lance? How much? What fert do you apply? Do you treat iron chlorosis (i know spelling is wrong)? Do you just fert too or do you do more to trees and shrubs?
  9. SeedPro

    SeedPro LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,030

    I use a modified FMC gun with a lance. I use Arbor Green Pro. I also spray trees and shrubs and diagnose problems and am Mauget certified and inject trees.

    The ONLY reason I would buy an arbor ject is to treat chlorotic trees but the demand is not strong enough to get into an arbor ject. All our ash trees are long gone. We were the first to get EAB years ago.

    You can get a good fert lance for a couple hundred or make your own modifying a JD9 tree spray gun.
  10. phasthound

    phasthound LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,146

Share This Page