1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

HELP! Yard is full of mushrooms!

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by iamthelawnbarber, Oct 22, 2007.

1. iamthelawnbarber

iamthelawnbarber LawnSite Member
    from Pa

Hi,
    I have a client who is complaining about mushrooms on her lawn. I live in Northeastern PA. Any ideas on how they got there? Does anyone know how to remove them & keep them from coming back next year?
    Thanks for the help!

2. capelawncare.com

capelawncare.com LawnSite Fanatic

Does she have cows by chance?

3. iamthelawnbarber

iamthelawnbarber LawnSite Member
    from Pa

She lives in a suburban development-no cows or animals.

4. Puttinggreens

Puttinggreens LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from southeast PA

Mushrooms in the lawn usually require a very specific environment to survive. That environment will probably change in the next 24 to 48 hours and the mushrooms will be gone.

I have had the same calls and my reply was always,, "wait 24 hours and call me if they are still there" no calls!

5. BeautifulBlooms

BeautifulBlooms LawnSite Senior Member

it probably is an old tree stump that didnt get fully removed now it has decayed to the point that the mushrooms are growing.

I had someone ask me why when i treated their lawn that the mushrooms werent killed, I explained we spray for broadleaf weeds not for fungus. Can you actually spray something on mushrooms to kill them? I have no idea, I just laughed when she asked why the herbicide didnt kill them.

6. Clear-Cut

Clear-Cut LawnSite Senior Member

mushrooms mean it is a great environment and soil to grow grass. not sure how to get rid of the mushrooms though sorry.

im not sure what kind of mushrooms grow by puttinggreens but where i am the mushrooms are around for a while and come back year after year..maybe its just the type of mushroom

7. WildLake

WildLake LawnSite Senior Member

Blooms is probably right. Decaying stumps or most any wood under the surface can be the cause along with some additional enviro conditions.

8. Ant_Knee

Ant_Knee LawnSite Member

I tell my clients to go and kick them over but that their is nothing we can do to spray and kill them. A fungicide will not be worth spraying. Like was said above...once they feel good about kicking them over and not coming back, they don't call.

The mushrooms are a sign of a health lawn environment...is typically what I tell them.