Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by JLong, Feb 2, 2007.

  1. JLong

    JLong LawnSite Member
    Messages: 103

    I am thinking about expanding my small mowing and landscaping company by entering the lawn fertilizing industry. My question is what should i plan on spending to start this buisness? I already have a 95 f150 is it large enough? any advise would be appreciated. also does anyone have a better link to the KS regulations the one at the top of the forum does not work. thank you
  2. J Hisch

    J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 952

    5000.00 thousand will get you a nice start in equipment

    200 gal tank space saver 3500.00 on sale right now at lesco
    300.00 push spreader
    flags 150.00
    back packs and other msc equipment such as Timbrens for your truck
  3. mrkosar

    mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio
    Messages: 680

    advertising (at least $3,000)
    forms and printing ($500)
    insurance (?)
    truck repairs

    pain in the arse all around

    budget it out big time before starting.
  4. JLong

    JLong LawnSite Member
    Messages: 103

    Thanks for your replys, is there a place where used spraying equipment is sold. I have been looking for some on line and have not come across any?
  5. stroker51

    stroker51 LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 819

    For KS PBL, must be at least 18 years of age, possess KS PCL, which means passing General Exam, and at least 3b, which is turf, and you'll probably want to go ahead and get 3a, which is ornamental, with at least a 70%. you must also show proof of financial responsibility, aka liability insurance. I'm pretty sure I'm forgetting somthing but I don't have my manuals in front of me at the moment. Are you just wanting to do fert. or are you wanting to kill stuff too? If you just want to do fert. in kansas there is no need for a license, but if you do anything like a weed and feed, or grub control, then you need to be licensed.
  6. RigglePLC

    RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 13,800

    Click the Gregson-Clark logo above and take a look at their sprayers, also. Compare prices. The 150 pickup doesn't have sufficient weight carrying capacity. About 1500 limit. A hundred gallons of water weighs 834 pounds. Sprayer weighs about 400. So you can carry about 131 gallons.
    If you hear four big bangs--it's your tires.
  7. willietd2

    willietd2 LawnSite Member
    from OHIO
    Messages: 210

    go to ebay and type in lesco
  8. JLong

    JLong LawnSite Member
    Messages: 103

    thank you all for your help
  9. stroker51

    stroker51 LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 819

    Ok, the other thing I was forgetting for KS PBL, everything I mentioned above and there is a small fee you have to pay to the state too. Can't quite remember the exact amount though.
  10. All Season Bill

    All Season Bill LawnSite Member
    Messages: 187

    If I remember it's like $25 for the state and $35 for Dept of Ag

    Oh Yeah - get your license! CORE and 8 at least

Share This Page