Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what to charge??
we have had several requests(from hard core lurkers) to help them set up there operations. should I pre package all the toys and gear and send them that and then go teach them how to do it?? or just get a few$ for the diy plans and charge a fee to instruct them??

and if I had to send phill for a week or 2 and set up the gear and show them how it works what arrangements should I make???

they want the works, brewer, spray rig, compost,screen's, fish oil, bio diesel, the whole 9 yards spelled out to the nides........

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Either way you do it, just make sure you give them enough training and understanding (written or consulting) to make sure you are not giving a blind man a pistol. If they pay you, you will want to cover your butt. Good luck!

I have a friend who does home inspections. He pays more insurance than another friend who is a chiropractor. Insurance is fairly important once you get into manufacturing... might want to weigh that into the decision.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Also,

If you just sold the plans... you can have it automated on your website. They pay and download them, you didn't have to do a thing. I personally would lean towards that... but I lean more intellectual and you more applicable and hands on, so manufacturing it might fit your style better.

As far as cost... you have a lot of trial and error to be where you are at.. it is worth a lot!

790 Posts
tree,
is your secret to beating crab grass organically included too? thats worth alot if you really have figured that out, think of the difference you would make to the industry and mostly environment if you could possibly share that with the community.!

i think you know the answer to your question about price and what to include.
your one smart cookie! " i like to bounce idea's off peoples heads too when i know or think i know to get a different perspective of things. i get that

i guess it matters all on what they want and are able to spend.
you got to pay to play right? put all the cards on the table and see what they want to spend, you guys only know what you have put into you biz and the ups and downs figuring it out. whats that worth?

with a little research most can find good equipment but to offer the right knowledge to use it and the recipe to success is worth way more! in my book anyway

good luck what ever you do

·
Banned
4,197 Posts
Stick to what your good at, if you move too much from your core business you need to look at it very carefully

A good home builder knows how things go together and what the proper sequence is, not only a craftsman but a knowledgeable craftsman

You could put a pile of lumber on site and give me a book and I guarantee you it would look nothing like a house, I may not be able to even make a dog house out it

What you do works because you are a knowledgeable craftsman, it may not work as well (or at all) for someone else, you also only get about 20 hours of sleep in week, many do not or are not willing to work as hard as you do.

just my 2 cents

How much to charge?? they couldn't afford it, is where you start

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
All the expenses of travel obviously need to be covered.

You may get an 'all expense paid trip to' - Hooterville, IL one day!

Profit vs. Perks. :)

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
There are a lot of consulting companies out there... just sell them a peice of equipment and either have a consulting fee built in or charge extra. Then have a consulting fee for each time you go visit...

Or just start up franchise... would that not be the same almost? Then they can have a meeting so many times a year and get any questions answered? Also you can help with any problems along the way? I don't know... if you do that just make sure you cherry pick your franchisees, my dad is a franchisee, except it is a little backwards... he is basically showing the parent company how to run the business, even was in charge of the other franchisees the parent company brought in for a while. He finally brought in his buddy to help them so he could focus on his businesses, and he was tired of putting up with the nonsense they kept throwing at him.

·
Banned
4,197 Posts
Franchises are a legaleez nightmare and take a minimum of 10 to 12 months to get approved. Step away quickly

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
10-12 months isn't that bad.. big companies take 15-20 years to build before they begin to see their good fruits. franchises offer A LOT of power not only to the founder but to the economy. Yes they might take a lot more work (you have to set up a VERY good procedure book and training program, and like Bill said... a lot of legal to-do) but they are more powerful! Think... run a ma' and pa' operation and help 500 customers every year.. or work to build a franchise and help over 5 million...? Can you imagine all the waste that would be properly diverted with 5 million people?

But that's getting into big corporate operations.. which seem to be discouraged with most organically biased people... I seriously wonder why?

But for tree.. I personally wouldn't suggest the franchise bit, I know she has mentioned it, but I just don't think it is her flavor. I don't know Phill though. .02

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
that was just to get aproved.

If you are to do a franchise, you have to have everything as simple as it gets... that is where I see the main problem... with a franchise it needs to be simple... basically, and unfortunately, something you can put in a bag and sell... unless you can be right there hands on... I believe tree might be helping people near her in Fl where she can run over and spend a day or two with them solving problems and getting them set up but it seems that would be hard to do with someone in a different state or across the nation.

·
Registered
232 Posts
why dont you run a class.
Instead of sending someone somewhere ...have people come to you.
have people come to you give a tour ...show them how much work goes into it so they are prepared.
walk them through building a brewer, sprayer & anything else.
If you are going to show someone how to start than you should make sure they are on the right path...

·
Registered
627 Posts
why dont you run a class.
Instead of sending someone somewhere ...have people come to you.
have people come to you give a tour ...show them how much work goes into it so they are prepared.
walk them through building a brewer, sprayer & anything else.
If you are going to show someone how to start than you should make sure they are on the right path...
:clapping::clapping:

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok, so we decided to just get a farm, 4 acres, and use that as a demonstration/ class. do the set up of all the equipment that one may need, have it there for sale or you can do the diy thing. as far as the rest of the help and Q/A that we have a demand for that will have to go through the pro door of the new site. the weed and feed and some of the other ideas we are working on are going to have to get sold separately. now the only thing to decide on is the cost for a 3 day class, all the finer points worms compost brewers, putting it all to work, see the field results, visit a 2200 acre sod farm, see a organic farm we tend to that is 40 acres, 1 year into the black $ wise, with my system!! and the whole nine yards. we will even help you build and run your first brew and brewer. how does this sound.

oh and fresh and salt fishing.LOLOL

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
that would be cool, then you can operate your farm that you do your classes at and make some product... maybe nothing big, but still, will allow you to make money off of it. And the people can see the work in action, not just some piece of equipment on a showroom floor.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.