Lawn Care Forum banner

help?!?!

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  David Haggerty 
#1 ·
I'm looking at switching fert products what is everyone else using? I'm having trouble with weeds mostly dandelions. So what everyone sle using? Also i only use granular

#2 ·
switching fertilizer won't necessary kill the dandelions...

It all depends on what your lawn needs, if it's lacking potash, or to much potash etc.

I generally use a 25-5-15 50% XCU slow release.

#3 ·
Dimension pre emergent would be a good way to start the season. I like products with MESA because the lawn has a nice green color and it doesn't push growth. Soil tests would help you to understand what the lawns need for N P K. May need to treat weeds with liquid herbicide to get them under control then a good fertilizer will help the grass fill in and thicken. I think MESA is a product of Lebanon Turf in PA.

#4 ·
Now, will Dimension actually work for Broadleaf control? Me and my supplier were talking about Dandelions and spraying and he says that his customers complain about them in the spring also.

He doesn't feel that dimension and barricade has any effects on broad leafs.

My thoughts are that a herbicide app in the fall would be the best bet for controlling dandelions in the spring.

#6 ·
Depends upon how much you put down and when you put it down. Preventing seeds from germinating is a good start to controling weeds. I'd rather prevent than try to kill them later. Key is a good program after to get grass to thicken. Good, long term, steady feed, that MESA stuff is the key.

#7 ·
Why would he say that ? Kind of a broad statement since it says:
"season-long control of 30 grassy and broadleaf weeds
They are a large professional outfit with many years experience in the Midwest. I'm not saying his word is golden, but they are knowledgeable not only from being astute about the products they use and sell, but from experience also.

#8 ·
Get a dandelion puller and use it in the high profile areas, aerate, correct the pH

and spot spray with a "Killex" type product that has 2, 4-D and mecoprop. It may also have dicamba or other chemicals in it too depending on your regional requirements and
Countries laws. In many cases, these are the same pesticides that are found in your granular weed and feed.

Spot spraying limits the pesticides to only the area effected by unwanted weeds.
Broadcast fertilizing pesticides in lawn fertilizer potentially harms the environment and gets into ground water etc.

Keep lawn weed control products away from Clematis. They are related to creeping butter cup and will die too.

Cut your lawns at two to 2.5 inches and use a good, balanced slow release lawn fertilizer

A healthy lawn will help to choke out weed growth.

#10 ·
I just got past my periodic inspection for my pesticide license. Part of the investigation was to ask me about a guy in the area that hat applied for a license and haden't followed thru. These guys are investigators!

With that said, dandylions are perenials that spread from seed. So broadleaf spray in the fall and pre-em in the spring and NO dandylions. They're the easiest weed to control. the best defense is a healthy lawn.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.