Lawn Care Forum banner

Help!!

9K views 23 replies 7 participants last post by  jvanvliet 
#1 ·
I service a HOA that the irrigation system is on a well. I am constantly having spray heads that the filters are stopped up. Most of the spray nozzles Hunter Pro sprays and I have tried some MP Rotors. I will remove the nozzles and they are covered with dirt/sand. I will turn the system back on with a nozzle removed and I will get a clump of dirt shoot out of the head. What can be done about this? Is there a filter that can be placed on the pump? What other suggestions do you have? Thanks

#4 ·
A pump-down test will indicate what the well output is in gpm/psi. It will,, as importantly, register the re-charge time of the well. With those criteria, a proper survey of the system should be done to see if the irrigation has exceeded the parameters of the well. Adding a clock with delay in between stations/programs may help, as will (payup) splitting up the zones. Something tells me the system is jacked.

#5 ·
Of course the well water can be filtered. All well water should be filtered. Sprinklers are usually assumed to be using clean city water, and you must use 80 or 100 mesh strainers in the supply, in order for the solenoid valves to operate properly, before you even worry what the sprinkler heads require.

#6 ·
Of course the well water can be filtered. All well water should be filtered. Sprinklers are usually assumed to be using clean city water, and you must use 80 or 100 mesh strainers in the supply, in order for the solenoid valves to operate properly, before you even worry what the sprinkler heads require.
Depending on the quality of the well water, filters may be needed. That being said, who is going to be responsible for checking and cleaning the filters? RB did make a pretty cool scrubber/filter that was self-flushing, I used them to great success. I'd still have a pump-down test done before looking like a dipwad when it still failed to perform after convincing the client that was all they needed.

#7 ·
Mike I mean no disrespect, you are very knowledgeable on many things. But, the wells you are familiar with perform vastly different than the ones I work with and perhaps other people too. I don't think you should be so quick to judge and cast broad statements about every well in the country. Most of the sediment problems that I have here are from rusty old steel casings, not drawing down the well.
Posted via Mobile Device

#9 ·
I'd check the water at the pump for solids first. I haven't encountered a well yet that produces dirt; sand yes... dirt no.

Dirt is usually indicative of a line break or the residue left in the line following a bad repair.

#10 ·
Mike I mean no disrespect, you are very knowledgeable on many things. But, the wells you are familiar with perform vastly different than the ones I work with and perhaps other people too. I don't think you should be so quick to judge and cast broad statements about every well in the country. Most of the sediment problems that I have here are from rusty old steel casings, not drawing down the well.
GM, while you are correct, the OP did state clogged filters due to dirt and sand, which suggests demand is exceeding the wells recharge rate.

#11 ·
GM, while you are correct, the OP did state clogged filters due to dirt and sand, which suggests demand is exceeding the wells recharge rate.
Which is all I meant to point out. Thanks, sonny. Too many posters seem to forget that "we are not at the site!", we have no idea of local conditions and our posts can only come from our experience with like-problems.

#12 ·
Your right I missed that part of his post. My point was that pump down tests would do almost no good here because you could run the well all day and still have plenty of water. Sorry mike.
Posted via Mobile Device

#14 ·
Read it again, he said the filters on the spray heads are clogged with dirt and sand.

I service a HOA that the irrigation system is on a well. I am constantly having spray heads that the filters are stopped up. Most of the spray nozzles Hunter Pro sprays and I have tried some MP Rotors. I will remove the nozzles and they are covered with dirt/sand. I will turn the system back on with a nozzle removed and I will get a clump of dirt shoot out of the head. What can be done about this? Is there a filter that can be placed on the pump? What other suggestions do you have? Thanks
That pump must be sucking the a$$ out of that well to produce clumps of dirt. I'd still check the water at the pump before making major investments in the well when the problem could merely be dirt in the line.

#16 ·
That pump must be sucking the a$$ out of that well to produce clumps of dirt. I'd still check the water at the pump before making major investments in the well when the problem could merely be dirt in the line.
Having a pump/well expert come in to check the system is not a "major investment", it simply takes one of the most likely causes out of the equation.
Who knows? It could be a hand-dug well, we have run into those out west, as well. (pun intended):dizzy:

#18 ·
Yes jvan, read what I said again.

the OP did state clogged filters due to dirt and sand, which suggests demand is exceeding the wells recharge rate.
Could be right, Alabama has experienced drought conditions, but it also suggests the possibility of dirt in the line from a break or poorly performed line repair; we'll see. That's a more usual condition here than a draw down issue.

#19 ·
Having a pump/well expert come in to check the system is not a "major investment", it simply takes one of the most likely causes out of the equation.
Who knows? It could be a hand-dug well, we have run into those out west, as well. (pun intended):dizzy:
Costs a couple of $100 to get one of those guys to show up.

#20 ·
Ok......I had some time to spend at the HOA. They called the well installer and he states that the well is producing "crystal clear" water at the well. The heads and filters that I replaced a few weeks ago seem to be doing better. I noticed that all the zones have 2" water lines and valves. The zone I am having problem with is a 1" valve. Could this cause the problem? The pump is cycling on and off a lot and the spray from the heads is terrible when the pump is off. So I had the idea that if I could combine two zones that would help to keep the pump running. I simply put two wires under one station, and that seems to keep the pump running and the spray heads are doing better. Is this bad? I know that actually combining the zones with the same pipe would be better but I was desperate to keep some pansies alive while we have some 70 degree days. What do you guys think? Any more suggestions?

#21 ·
Did the pump always cycle? when it does cycle, what is a lot? I didn't say short cycle or fast cycle which are different issues.
You say with the pump off the pressure decreases. This would be due to a gradual loss of pressure as the pressure drops from cut-out to cut-in pressure. You ganged a set of valves to keep the pump running, you might of masked the problem, maybe not.

Clock the amount of time between cut-out and cut-in and the size of the drawdown of the pressure tank.

Calculate the demand requirements of the zone and if they don't jibe you may have a cracked pipe that opens and closes.
Posted via Mobile Device

#22 ·
Did the pump always cycle? when it does cycle, what is a lot? I didn't say short cycle or fast cycle which are different issues.
You say with the pump off the pressure decreases. This would be due to a gradual loss of pressure as the pressure drops from cut-out to cut-in pressure. You ganged a set of valves to keep the pump running, you might of masked the problem, maybe not.

Clock the amount of time between cut-out and cut-in and the size of the drawdown of the pressure tank.

Calculate the demand requirements of the zone and if they don't jibe you may have a cracked pipe that opens and closes.Posted via Mobile Device
Which might account for the "sand and clumps of dirt" in the line.

IMO; demands systems are a PIA;

I'm thinking the pump shouldn't cycle at all with a valve open.

#24 ·
Re-think both comments, they are both wrong, IMHO. :dizzy:
Not for S. Florida irrigation.

Leaky fittings & valves are common as a result of our alkaloid soil; they cause a pump motor to cycle night and day burning them out in short order. I've replaced lots of burned out motors and installed lots of timers between the power and the pump to prevent them from continually cycling.

Why would a pump cycle when it has continual demand? If it continually cycles while irrigating, I'd say you have a problem.

Your opinion is probably valid where you live and have worked.

IMHO, demand systems are a PIA for irrigation and the pump should not be cycling on and off continually with a valve open. :drinkup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.