1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

help

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by marco, Oct 30, 2004.

1. marco

marco LawnSite Member

Have 1 1/2 acrea heavy wooded lot in central Fl. Very heavy brush about waist high, never been cleared before. Want to rent equipment to clear brush. Would a walk behind model do it? After I get all brush down, how do I clean all of it up so grounds are fairly clear? Thanks.

2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

marco

Check with your local Equipment Rental company for a walk behind Bush-hog like the Troyer that is advertised on TV. However you may find it cheaper to hire a tractor type bush hog to do the first clearing. Looking at the map I think you are above the pepper tree and palmetto area of Florida.

I suggest you spray the area with Roundup and a 2-4-D product to keep it down. If this is your own property or hire a pesticide company to do it if it is not your own property.

3. JRSlawn

JRSlawn LawnSite Senior Member

spray it first and wait a week or two then go threw it with a weed wacker. Or the walk behind unit Round up is the best product out for this type of problem

4. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

You're going to want to know whether any of that 'heavy brush' is poison ivy. I come to Palm Beach County every winter for a month or so to clear land for a couple of clients and no matter how careful I am (and I am plenty damn careful), I still come away with poison ivy. I've learned not to head South without a supply of Prednisone in my first aid kit. Particularly if you Roundup more than a week before cutting, be careful - it's less easy to identify if the leaves are dying. A steel-bladed brushcutter works well on scrub up to 2" (more with a ballsy machine), rigid plastic blades work great on anything a half inch or less. An adjustable-height mower will be better if there's a lot of the native grapevine scrambling on the ground.

5. activelandscaping

activelandscaping LawnSite Member

I'm not sure what type of brush you get down in Fl, all of the above are good suggestions. I was watching a couple of guys clear some pretty thick brush the other day, 5 acre lot. They were using hand held brush cutters, looked like a string trimmer power head but had reciprocating round blades that functioned like a hedge trimmer? The were moving at a pretty good speed.

BTW,
    Kate is defiantly right about Poison Ivy. One of my guys got it pretty bad this summer, don't touch anything you can't scratch in public. ;)

Regards,
    Active

6. Meadowbrook

Meadowbrook LawnSite Senior Member

Truthfully, I'd use a tractor with a 3pt bush hog, or hire someone else to do it if there is poison ivy in amongst the brush. Would you rather spend $100 more to have somebody else do it over the rental idea, or itch all over for a couple weeks :rolleyes:

I'd choose the latter :D

Chris