herbicide application

thom

LawnSite Senior Member
there are several companies in my area that will only use granular herbicide,for both pre,and post emergent weeds.these lawns look good.
why would a liquid be used if a granular application works as well?

DLCS

LawnSite Platinum Member
Just curious have you walked the lawn to actually see if there are weeds. My thinking is the lawns were in fairly good shape when these companies started doing apps on them and not many weeds were present to begin with. My father who only takes care of his 2.5 acres, has a pretty much weed free lawn and all he used is granular weed and feed. But.....he is out doing the apps at sunrise when a heavy dew is present and has spent many years getting his lawn in the shape its in right now. Liquid herbicides give much quicker results and give you a much biger window of application, because you don't need a heavy dew to make the granuals stick to the weeds.

OP
T

thom

LawnSite Senior Member
Just curious have you walked the lawn to actually see if there are weeds. My thinking is the lawns were in fairly good shape when these companies started doing apps on them and not many weeds were present to begin with. My father who only takes care of his 2.5 acres, has a pretty much weed free lawn and all he used is granular weed and feed. But.....he is out doing the apps at sunrise when a heavy dew is present and has spent many years getting his lawn in the shape its in right now. Liquid herbicides give much quicker results and give you a much biger window of application, because you don't need a heavy dew to make the granuals stick to the weeds.
Yes I have,4 of these lawns are my regular mowing customers.

fireman gus

LawnSite Senior Member
We only use liquid herbicide. We have found that generally it does a better job and can be applied at any hour of the day. Granular herbicide needs to be applied when the grass is damp so it sticks to the leaves. In our area I don't know of anyone using granular except maybe Trugreen.

dKoester

LawnSite Gold Member
Well that may not be so if temps are too high. Phytosensitivity could be an issue at high temps.

JWTurfguy

LawnSite Senior Member
A lot of guys don't trust their workers to mix and spray properly, so granular products are easier to deal with. Also, depending on the neighborhood, they might also be trying to prevent anti-chemical nuts next-door from getting too curious about what's being sprayed. With granular products, neighbors are more likely to assume it's just fertilizer being spread. Also, not to be forgotten is the high likelihood that the companies in question aren't licensed to apply pesticides for hire and would prefer not to draw too much attention to themselves.