Herbicide Help

green-go's

LawnSite Member
Im in North Central TX and need help with an Herbicide. Have a lawn that is mixed Bermuda and St. Augastine, has winter weeds pretty bad, mainly Henbit. What is a good cool weather product that will be safe gor both grasses. I am pretty sure it is too early to just use Round Up.
TIA

rwsawal04

LawnSite Member
This is what I would do go with some simazine at 1oz or 1.5oz per 1000 and some 3way really light at .75per 1000. It's gonna be a slow kill because of the augustine and the cool weather. You might have to make a second app of 3way lightly.

Turf Dawg

LawnSite Gold Member
If your St Augustine is dormant, should be unless you had leaves covering them, then I would hit it with Speedzone Southern. One thing that will not hurt either one would be Celcius but it will take a while to kill it. If you have mainly Henbit a mower works well to help kill it. Generally after a few mowings it will die out.

mkaz

LawnSite Member
How long does it take Celsius to start showing results? I am in North Texas and sprayed it five days ago and I don't see any results yet. I am trying to control Poa and fescue/rye in a Bermuda lawn. I didn't have any Methylated Seed Oil, so I used a couple of tablespoons of Palmolive dish detergent per 3 gallons as a NIS. Any comments are appreciated.

Turf Dawg

LawnSite Gold Member
It takes weeks in this cool weather, however it is not going to do much to the Poa, Fescue and Rye this time of year. It will help it transition faster in the spring, but not much right now. Oh BTW, or you sure you have Fescue and Rye, or do you have Rescue grass?

mkaz

LawnSite Member
Thanks. I'm not really sure what I have. I know I have Poa because I can see the buds starting to emerge and I am familiar with its profile. The other stuff I'm not sure of, but it is definitely a grassy green something in my brown bermuda and it is not pretty. Is there a web site out there to identify grassy weeds?

Any suggestions about what I might put down next fall to avoid the stuff in the first place? I applied Simazine last fall, but I think I applied it too late. I put it down Oct 24. Next year I am going to hit it in Aug to mid Sept.

I think I am going to go with a regular plan of Barricade in the spring and fall and also use Celsius/Simazine in the fall. Do you think that would work for a bermuda lawn in North Texas? Just trying to stay weed free in the cooler months.

Turf Dawg

LawnSite Gold Member
If you did not seed it then I bet you have Rescuegrass. Rescuegrass is a cool season grassy annual that has a wider blade and is lighter green than Rye. It puts on seeds in spring, even with mowing, and starts burning up around June.
I wish you were closer and I would give you a estimate LOL.
Since you do not have enough post for a PM, I will just tell you my plan/routine for Bermuda.

1 Mid Feb - Early March.......Prodiamine and Broadleaf spray

2 April - Fert spot spray if needed

3 June - Fert/Pendi combo spray Celcius

4 Mid July - Fert

5 Mid Sept - Fert, Simazine or Prodiamine [depends on lawns] and broadleaf spray

mkaz

LawnSite Member
Thanks. I definitely could use an expert, but I'm also a do-it-yourselfer and I am determined to get this right sooner or later.

What is Pendi?

mkaz

LawnSite Member
I'm actually in a community called Lantana just west of Highland Village in Denton County. Let me know if you'd come that far to analyze my situation.