Herbicide help...

chadflys

LawnSite Member
Hello from Central Arkansas. I joined to learn more about treating my own lawn. I take a pride in my yard and Lawn Doctor isn’t meeting my expectation so I’m going back to treating it myself. In years past I’ve done well with Trimec and MSMA. I still have plenty of that still, but was wondering what might be better and what I need to keep poanna under control. My front yard is a type of hybrid bermuda, and my back yard is almost complete with El Toro Zoysia. I’m working on transplanting El Toro to the front as well as I really like it! Lawn Doctor got rid ofthe poanna but has dropped the ball on just about everything else. They stunt the hell out of my Zoysia every spring...??? Myweeds are Nut Sedge, wild onion, clover, crab grass, various other low gowning purplish stuff that is weakening my turf.
Thanks from Arkansas!

takervader

LawnSite Senior Member
Well you can use the MSMA you have, but I'd save it for the most troublesome weeds that pop up as a spot spray, like dallisgrass.

Trimec is 3-way, and should be fine to use in the cooler months like April/May or late Sept. Celsius is the ticket for the hottest summer months for broadleafs.

Drive XLR8 (quinclorac) removes crab.

Certainty will nuke the clover and onion/garlic, and would use Certainty as well on sedges. Certainty is my blanket spray in summer to take out nutsedges.

The low-growing purplish may be Virginia Buttonweed, which requires diligence in removing, if that is what it is.

But if you're seeing a lot of clover, I'm betting you arent fertilizing enough at all, and you probably arent getting enough preemergent down in the first place. Zoysia will choke out most problem weeds by itself with 1lb/1000sqft of N every 6-8 weeks. The hybrid bermuda doesn't do quite as good as Zoysia about that but if it were healthy and adequate amounts of pre were down, there shouldnt be much breakthrough.

Poa can be killed by the Certainty in spring, but requires a heavy dose of pre in September to keep it from coming up in the first place.

OP
C

chadflys

LawnSite Member
Well you can use the MSMA you have, but I'd save it for the most troublesome weeds that pop up as a spot spray, like dallisgrass.

Trimec is 3-way, and should be fine to use in the cooler months like April/May or late Sept. Celsius is the ticket for the hottest summer months for broadleafs.

Drive XLR8 (quinclorac) removes crab.

Certainty will nuke the clover and onion/garlic, and would use Certainty as well on sedges. Certainty is my blanket spray in summer to take out nutsedges.

The low-growing purplish may be Virginia Buttonweed, which requires diligence in removing, if that is what it is.

But if you're seeing a lot of clover, I'm betting you arent fertilizing enough at all, and you probably arent getting enough preemergent down in the first place. Zoysia will choke out most problem weeds by itself with 1lb/1000sqft of N every 6-8 weeks. The hybrid bermuda doesn't do quite as good as Zoysia about that but if it were healthy and adequate amounts of pre were down, there shouldnt be much breakthrough.

Poa can be killed by the Certainty in spring, but requires a heavy dose of pre in September to keep it from coming up in the first place.
Thanks for the input. I’ll research the products you recommended. I’ve been paying for the service and apparently not getting it. What’s the best pre emergent to put down in Sept? That’s keeps the poanna from coming up in the spring.
Thanks

takervader

LawnSite Senior Member
You can use any, preferably at maximum rate for September.

I usually use Prodiamine or Specticle FLO for Sept, but Dimension at max rate works fine too.