1. Complete Our Survey For A Chance To Win A $50 Amazon Gift Card
    We’d like to know your thoughts about LawnSite, and how we can make our community a more useful resource for your lawn care and landscaping needs. Please click here to take the survey, which should only take five minutes to complete. One winner will be chosen at random to win a $50 Amazon gift card.
    Dismiss Notice

Herbicide in cold

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by RigglePLC, Apr 3, 2019.

1. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

So far I sprayed bittercress on April first with Speedzone or a 3-way (thermometer included in picture). At 48 hours the results seem to be rather slow. The temperatures have been about 55 as daily highs during this time; about 40 at night.

SA400100.JPG

SA400101.JPG

SA400111.JPG

SA400110.JPG

dishman89 and Atlantic Lawn like this.
  2. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Bronze Member

As you are aware up take is slower in cooler temperatures. Plus they are almost beginning to reach seed stage as I am seeing the white flowers which will also slow up take sense the weed has almost reached maturity. If it'sighly valuable turf or flower beds I would recommend Cool Power but it is expensive. But again on highly valuable turf it may call for it. You might also use a late fall BL application.

3. OP
    OP
    RigglePLC

At day three--there is still not much response. Sprayed with Speedzone; 49 degrees F at the time. Still rather cold the temp is 45 F today.
    I am not sure if bittercress is more resistant to herbicides.
    I think I can see some slight curling of the leaf blades.

SA400114.JPG

dishman89 likes this.
  4. weeze

weeze Banned

doesn't do so well in colder weather.

5. CorgiTurf

CorgiTurf LawnSite Senior Member

What rates per thousand did you go at?

Any surfactants?

6. OP
    OP
    RigglePLC

The three way included surfactant.
    It is difficult to be precise with my equipment and method.
    I tried to spray about a half sqft (9.6 inch circle). Applied one squirt with trigger-spray--about 1 milliliter. That is about 2 milliliters per sqft, or 2 liters per thousand sqft.
    Herbicides were mixed at one ounce per quart.

7. PKLIP

PKLIP LawnSite Senior Member

I have been spraying Cool Power with surfactant at the max rate. The temps here have been in the 50's to 60's, however nightime temps have been dropping into the 20's and 30's. The properties I sprayed last week of March have shown little effect, but I am guessing that in the next several days as temperatures warm up they will start showing injury.

8. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

Thanks for another real world herbicide test. Many LawnSite readers have no clue of your many years of real life herbicide experiments. You sir are the King of online weed killing. Keep it up.

hort101 and gbobcatr like this.
  9. OP
    OP
    RigglePLC

Thanks for your comments, Steve.
    Here are the new pictures of bittercress, sprayed with a 3-way, after 5 days.
    Then of an unfamiliar perennial weed with Speedzone. Sprayed at a temperature of 49 or 50.
    Temperatures dropped to about 38 F during the night.
    Response has been slow. Temperature is rising today--may hit 70. More results later.
    First mowing in our area will be about 3 to 4 weeks later.

SA400040.JPG

SA400043.JPG

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
    SFL likes this.
  10. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Our lawns here are JUST starting to break dormancy. Same with any residual broadleafs. Too early to apply selective yet.