1. Ask the Expert TODAY!
    Learn how to do more with less when it comes to your fertilization services. Gather your top questions about fertilization and nutrient management and join the live Ask the Expert event hosted by Koch Turf & Ornamental TODAY at 12-2 p.m. ET in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Dismiss Notice

herbicide test

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by RigglePLC, Jan 13, 2013.

1. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I dug up some clumps of winter annual weeds and moved clumps indoors in cups in potting soil and allowed two weeks for growth to resume. I then sprayed them with one of five herbicides and kept an untreated control. Best control was produced by Speedzone and T-Zone which were very similar, next was Quicksilver, next were a 3-way and Drive which were almost equal. Untreated control looked healthy. Photo at 4 days after treatment.

Mysterious, this was an area infested with chickweed last year, and I thought this was young chickweed. Now I am thinking it is not chickweed--the leaves are really small. Does anyone know what kind of weed it is?

S3500011.jpg

2. TurfWerks

TurfWerks LawnSite Senior Member

Parsley? I can't see well on my phone..
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Ferris68

Ferris68 LawnSite Member

Thats an interesting test. Thanks for posting. I am curious as to what the cost difference would be if you mixed 3/4-1oz per Acre of Quicksilver with a cheap three-way versus the SpeedZone.

My guess on the weed is Henbit. But its a bit difficult to tell from the picture.

4. RigglePLC

A followup: T-Zone was best; Speedzone almost as effective, followed by Quciksilver, 3-Way and Drive. I am still not sure about the species of weed.

5. noweedshere

noweedshere LawnSite Member

Guessing either a bedstraw or a speedwell variety. Any flowers?

6. RigglePLC

7. noweedshere

Speedwell has been a glowingly noticeable problem here in ohio past few years. Seems to have prospered from warmer/earlier than usual springs. Seeing mostly corn speedwell here with the blue-purple flower come spring.

8. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

Could it be a thyme?

9. noweedshere

Thyme leaf speedwell, also a variety

10. Ijustwantausername

Ijustwantausername LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for this, will be switching to t-zone this year.