Herbicide that controls both Virginia Buttonweed and Wild Violet?

Fireman3707

LawnSite Member
Looking for a one stop herbicide that controls both V. Buttonweed and Wild Violet? Right now I do a split app, one with Escalade 2 for the buttonweed and one with 2D for the Wild Violet.

TurfWerks

LawnSite Senior Member
Not found anything that controls both unless you have Bermuda and I will say Monument works well, but takes a couple hits. mixing it with a little triplet helps also.. ONLY in bermuda tho..

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
Even with that it'll take a full season or longer to take out the wild violet. I've used sulfosulfuron with decent results for both. But took multiple apps.

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Wild violets spread underground by long rhizomes. Up to 4 feet long.
My idea is to hand dig the biggest plants in the infested area. You cannot dig out all the roots, but at least get the big ones. Then spray the remaining small plants and any that come up from the rhizomes in the next year or so.
Be sure to prevent wild violets from spreading into the yard from the woods or neglected gardens. Use deep plastic or steel edging.

TurfWerks

LawnSite Senior Member
Its a great BWC, but violets and button weed are gonna be tough. Fescue is where you are gonna be limited on what you can use.

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
I deal with wv popping up in thick Tiff 2 bermuda full sun and it's been getting worse over the last few years (kinda like sedges but I digress). On my Zoysia lawns growth is tight enough it seems to crowd it out for the most part.